Thomas McConnaughey Architectural Drawings Collection
Scope and Contents
The collection consists of 58 rolls of drawings for architectural projects. Most of the projects are in east-central Indiana. Most are by Thomas A. McConnaughey and firms with which he was associated, including Hemmert and McConnaughey, McConnaughey and Associates, and McConnaughey and Guy. Other firms represented are Houck and Hamilton; Hamilton and Graham; Walter Scholer and Associates; C. R. Gollogly; Fleck Burkhart and Shropshire; Orus Eash; Louis C. Kingscott; McGuire and Shook; C. Daniel Zimmerman; E. Hill Turnock; R. W. Clinton; Houck and Smenner; and Everett and Eugene Brown. The period covered is ca. 1927- 1971. McConnaughey's work includes Parkside Elementary School in Hartford City, said to be the first completely electric school (1954), as well as many other schools, banks, churches, nursing homes, and residences.
- Creation: ca. 1927-1971
- McConnaughey, Thomas A., 1907-1972 (Architect, Person)
Language of Materials
Materials entirely in English.
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Legal title, copyright, and literary rights reside with Drawings and Documents Archive, Archives and Special Collections, Ball State University Libraries, Muncie, IN. All requests to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted to Drawings and Documents Archive.
Thomas A. McConnaughey (1907-1972) was born near Hartford City, Indiana. He attended the Carnegie Institute of Technology and was an apprentice architect with the firm of Houck and Hamilton in Muncie. He and Ivo Hemmert, who also apprenticed with Houck and Hamilton, opened an architectural practice in Hartford City during the 1930s, doing business as McConnaughey and Hemmert. The two men went their separate ways during World War II but teamed up again after the war, this time as Hemmert and McConnaughy. That firm was dissolved around 1952. McConnaughey (who was known as “Al”) came to Marion while Hemmert remained in Hartford City, practicing by himself until the late 1960s. McConnaughey formed another partnership with Gerald Guy, in 1956. McConnaughey and Guy broke their partnership in 1964. Both men stayed in Marion practicing individually.
32 Cubic Feet (Rolled storage, boxes, flat file drawer) : Approximately 2000 drawings
This collection is arranged chronologically.
The Thomas McConnaughey Architectural Drawings were received by Drawings and Documents Archive as a donation from Esther McConnaughey in 1982.
No further additions are expected.
Collection processing completed 2013/03/21 by Stephanie Schwartz.
Genre / Form
- Buildings, commercial
- Buildings, religious
- Buildings, residential
- School buildings
- Store, retail
Style / Period
- Thomas McConnaughey Architectural Drawings
- Created and revised by Andrew R. Seager; revised by Carol Street.
- Created 2005/4/28; revised 2007/7/16 and 2011/4/26.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
Part of the Andrew Seager Archives of the Built Environment Repository
Architecture Building, Room 120
Muncie IN 47306 USA