Skip to main content

Lester W. Routt Architectural Drawings Collection

 Collection
Identifier: DADA-035

Scope and Contents

This collection consists of 302 project sets of drawings from the office of architect Lester W. Routt, Vincennes, Indiana. It covers the period 1912-1970.

The drawings are for a wide variety of building types in southern Indiana, northern Kentucky, and eastern Illinois: residences, apartments, hospitals, factories, fraternal lodges, schools, courthouses, churches, and offices. Most of the work is by Routt but a few drawings are by a predecessor firm, Campbell and Osterhage, which later became Osterhage and Sutton.

Dates

  • 1912 - 1970

Creator

Language of Materials

Materials in English.

Conditions Governing Access

This collection is open for research.

Copyright Notice

Legal title, copyright, and literary rights reside with Drawings and Documents Archive, Archives and Special Collections, Ball State University Libraries, Muncie, IN. All requests to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted to Archives and Special Collections.

Biographical Note

Lester W. Routt (1891-1970) was born in Washington, Indiana, and later received his education at Washington University, the University of Wisconsin, and the University of Liverpool, England. In 1913 he joined the architectural firm of Thomas Campbell and Louis H. Osterhage in Vincennes, Indiana. Routt served in the U.S. Army during World War I. Army draft registration papers list his residence as Washington, Indiana, and his occupation as building superintendent and draftsman for L. H. Osterhage at Casey, Illinois.

Following WWI, Routt returned to Vincennes and rejoined the firm of Osterhage and Sutton. He became a partner in Sutton and Routt in 1923 and then began practicing under his own name around 1939, first as Lester W. Routt, architect, and then by 1946 as Lester W. Routt, architect and engineer. He became a member of the American Institute of Architects in 1942 and later became a member of the Indiana Society of Architects. About 1954, the firm was incorporated as Lester W. Routt, AIA, and Associates, Inc.

Extent

24.9 Cubic Feet (6 flat file drawers, 1 OVC oversize archival box, 1 manuscript box)

Arrangement

This collection is arranged chronologically.

Custodial History

The Lester W. Routt Architectural Drawings were received by Drawings and Documents Archive as a donation from Lewis Historical Library, Vincennes University, on 1999/09/01.

Accruals

No further additions are expected.

Processing Information

Collection processing completed. Finding aid created 2010/8/31 by Carol Street.

Creator

Title
Lester W. Routt Architectural Drawings
Status
Completed
Author
Created by Carol Street
Date
Created 2010/8/31.
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
Undetermined
Script of description
Code for undetermined script
Language of description note
English

Repository Details

Part of the Andrew Seager Archive of the Built Environment, A Division of University Libraries Repository

Contact:
Architecture Building, Room 120
Muncie IN 47306 USA
765-285-8441
765-285-3726 (Fax)