Skip to main content

Allen and Kelley Architectural Records Collection

 Collection
Identifier: DADA-005

Scope and Contents

The collection consists of architectural records from the office of Allen and Kelley, Architects and Engineers, and its successor, J. Lloyd Allen, architects and engineers. It covers the period 1916-1967. Most of the records are architectural working drawings. Some design studies, renderings, shop drawings, and sets of specifications are included as well.

Series One (catalog nos. 5-1 through 5-86) includes 86 projects by J. Lloyd Allen and John R. Kelley practicing independently, by the Allen and Kelley firm, and by the successor firm. The projects date between 1937 and 1967 and are arranged chronologically.

Series Two (catalog nos. 5-87 through 5-96) consists of drawings for seven buildings by architects not connected with the Allen and Kelley firm: Robert Frost Daggett, Pierre and Wright, Russ and Harrison, McGuire and Shook, Edward D. Pierre, Walter B. Chambers (New York), and Albert Kahn (Detroit). These date from 1916 to the 1940s.

Cataloging of this collection was completed in 1990 with the aid of a grant from the National Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior, administered by the Division of Historic Preservation and Archaeology, Indiana Department of Natural Resources.

Dates

  • 1916 - 1967

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

This collection is open for research.

Copyright Notice

Legal title, copyright, and literary rights reside with Drawings and Documents Archive, Archives and Special Collections, Ball State University Libraries, Muncie, IN. All requests to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted to Drawings and Documents Archive.

Biographical Note

Joseph Lloyd Allen (1897-1975) and John Robert Kelley (1902-1991) practiced architecture independently in the mid 1930s before forming the Allen and Kelley firm about 1936 or 1940. The firm was based in Indianapolis. Allen was the more active partner. A graduate of Manual High School in Indianapolis, Allen studied mechanical engineering at the University of Wisconsin, Madison, and received a degree in architecture from the University of Illinois. He also studied at Butler University and the John Herron Art Institute.

The Allen and Kelley office was at its peak during World War II and for about ten years afterward, employed about 75 architects on defense contracts. Though known largely as industrial architects, Allen and Kelley also designed theaters, other types of commercial buildings, and a series of housing projects. Many of the housing projects were done under F.H.A. auspices between 1946 and 1950. Kelley retired in 1960. Allen continued the business as J. Lloyd Allen, Architects and Engineers until 1967, sometimes in association with Lloyd W. Scholl.

Among those who worked for the firm, in addition to Scholl, were Jon Anderson, Julius Ehlert, George Fink, Walter Petterson, Joe Small, Cheek and Lynch, Charles Lowe, Richard Karl Zimmerly, Ronald Shettleworth, Wanda Lyday, Ernest Fennig, and Don Weir.

Extent

21.6 Cubic Feet (5 flat file drawers, 3 manuscript boxes, 2 OVA boxes)

Language of Materials

English

Arrangement

The Allen and Kelley Architectural Records are arranged chronologically.

Custodial History

The Allen and Kelley Architectural Records were received by Drawings and Documents Archive as a donation from Lloyd W. Scholl in 1978.

Accruals

No additions are expected.

Processing Information

Collection processing completed 1990/5/30 by Andrew R. Seager. Finding aid created 1990/5/30 by Andrew R. Seager, revised 2009/5/20; 2011/12/1 by Carol A. Street.

Creator

Source

Status
Completed
Author
Created by Andrew R. Seager; revised by Carol A. Street.
Date
Created 1990/5/30; revised 2009/5/20 and 2011/12/1.
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
Undetermined
Script of description
Code for undetermined script
Language of description note
English

Repository Details

Part of the Andrew Seager Archive of the Built Environment, A Division of University Libraries Repository

Contact:
Architecture Building, Room 120
Muncie IN 47306 USA
765-285-8441
765-285-3726 (Fax)