Lloyd W. Scholl Architectural Records Collection
Scope and Contents
Drawings and prints for 73 projects (1946-ca. 1978) by Lloyd W. Scholl from offices in Indianapolis and (beginning in 1972) Phoenix, AZ. The majority of drawings are of residences. Also included are some area churches, commercial and office buildings, schools, and hotels.
- 1946 - 1978
- Scholl, Lloyd W. (Lloyd Willis), 1917-1989 (Architect, Person)
Language of Materials
Collection is entirely in English.
Conditions Governing Access
This colleciton is open for research.
Legal title, copyright, and literary rights reside with Drawings and Documents Archive, Archives and Special Collections, Ball State University Libraries, Muncie, IN. All requests to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted to Drawings and Documents Archive.
Lloyd Willis Scholl was born 22 August 1917, in Denver, Colorado. He received a B.S. from the University of Illinois in 1941. From 1945-48, he was employed as a structural engineer with the firm of Allen and Kelley, Indianapolis, IN.
In 1954, he created his firm, L.W. Scholl, Architect and Engineer, in Indianapolis. Some of his principal works include the Western Electric Plant (1952), Park Terrace and East Lawn apartments (1953), Seventh Day Adventists Church (1955), Hoffman Specialty plant (1955), the County Hospital (1955), GMC Allison Division Building addition (1966), Shrine Club Building (1968), Park Moore Shopping Center (1968-9), and the Hillenbrand Industries office building (1969). From 1959-60, Scholl served as the chair of Engineering Technology Division program at Purdue University. In 1970, he became the building commissioner for the city of Indianapolis.
Scholl opened an office in Phoenix, AZ, about 1972 and continued to practice there at least until 1978. He died on 8 October, 1989.
12 Cubic Feet (3 flat file drawers)
The Lloyd W. Scholl Architectural Records are arranged chronologically.
The Lloyd W. Scholl Architectural Records were received by Drawings and Documents Archiveas a donation from Lloyd W. Scholl in 1978.
No additions are expected.
Social Security death index
Collection processing completed 1987/8/11 by Andrew R. Seager. Finding aid created 1987/8/11 by Andrew R. Seager; revised 2005/5/28 by Daniel Hartwig; revised 2009/5/20, 2011/12/1 by Carol A. Street.
- Apartments Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Architecture, American Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Architecture, commercial Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Architecture--Indiana--Indianapolis Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Buildings, religious Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Hotels Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Houses--Indiana—1940s Subject Source: Local sources
- Houses--Indiana—1950s Subject Source: Local sources
- Houses--Indiana—1960s Subject Source: Local sources
- Indianapolis (Ind.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Scholl, Lloyd W. (Lloyd Willis), 1917-1989 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- School buildings Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Lloyd W. Scholl Architectural Records
- Created by Andrew R. Seager; revised by Daniel Hartwig and Carol A. Street.
- Created 1987/8/11; revised 2005/5/28, 2009/5/20, 2011/12/1
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
Part of the Andrew Seager Archives of the Built Environment Repository
Architecture Building, Room 120
Muncie IN 47306 USA