Kibele and Garrard Architectural Records Collection
Scope and Contents
This large and comprehensive collection is from the architectural firm founded by Cuno Kibele in Bluffton, Indiana, which Kibele moved to Muncie and which continued in Muncie under the names Kibele and Garrard, Garrard and Keely, and C. W. Garrard.
The collection contains drawings for hundreds of buildings designed by the firm, most of them located in the east central and northeast parts of the state. The great majority of buildings designed by this prolific and locally prominent firm are represented.
The collection also contains architectural renderings (29 on illustration boards and 2 carved in wood); specifications; structural calculations for a few buildings; some correspondence; a scrapbook; photographs; financial and administrative records; several boxes of office supplies and tools; and some personal papers of C. W. Garrard.
The drawings, renderings, specifications, and other records pertaining to specific architectural projects are arranged chronologically and are itemized in the digital catalog. The catalog numbers assigned to these materials indicate the year or estimated year of the contract (the two digits preceding the decimal point) and the project number if known (four digits after the decimal point). If the job number for the project is not known, then a three-decimal number was supplied, beginning with “.001”. The letter-size and legal-size project documents are in Boxes 1-5.
Other records, not pertaining to specific commissions, were given arbitrary catalog numbers, using three digits before the decimal point. These records are arranged by category and then chronologically within each category. They are cataloged at the group level but itemized in the container list. Box 6 contains a scrapbook kept by Kibele and glass negatives of three Kibele buildings (catalog numbers 7-100.1 and 7-100.2). Box 7 contains an index-card file indicating where in the office drawings for each commission had been filed (catalog no. 7-101.2). Boxes 8-10 contain business records and ledgers (catalog no. 7-101.3 and 7-101.4). A wood sign identifying the door of Garrard’s office (catalog no. 7-102.1) is in Package 11. Box 12 has documents concerning Garrard’s enrollment in correspondence courses with the International Correspondence Schools of Scranton, PA, and the Federal School of Commercial Designing in Minneapolis (catalog no. 7-103.1). Box 13 contains other Garrard personal and family papers (catalog nos. 7-103.3, 7-103.5C, 7-103.6). Boxes 14-18 and Package 19 hold office supplies and equipment.
Cataloging of the Kibele and Garrard collection was assisted by grants in 1987 and 1988 from the National Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior, administered by the Division of Historic Preservation and Archaeology, Indiana Department of Natural Resources.
- 1891 - 1975
- Kibele & Garrard (Muncie, Ind.) (Architect, Organization)
- Kibele, Cuno (Architect, Person)
- Garrard, Carl Wave (Architect, Person)
- Keely, James T. (Architect, Person)
- Garrard & Keely (Muncie, Ind.) (Architect, Organization)
- C.W. Garrard (Firm) (Architect, Organization)
Language of Materials
Collection is entirely in English.
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Legal title, copyright, and literary rights reside with Drawings and Documents Archive, Archives and Special Collections, Ball State University Libraries, Muncie, IN. All requests to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted to Drawings and Documents Archive.
Cuno Kibele, 1866-1927
Cuno Kibele (1866-1927) was born in Bluffton, Indiana, on 24 July 1866. His father died shortly thereafter, and Cuno's mother moved the family back to her hometown of Bluffton, Ohio. Cuno returned to Bluffton, Indiana, at age sixteen. In his late teens, he worked as a carpenter's assistant, gaining practical knowledge in construction. During the 1890s he became a masonry contractor in Bluffton and owned a brickyard there from 1894 to 1900.
Gradually he turned his business to the practice of architecture, though he had no formal architectural training. He was partners with William Powers in an architectural practice in Bluffton from about 1895 to about 1899, then continued on his own after the Powers and Kibele partnership dissolved. Among Kibele’s works in Bluffton are the First Presbyterian Church, Methodist Church, the Bluffton Carnegie library, an addition to the Bliss Hotel, and many fine residences. Kibele also designed buildings in Montpelier, Hartford City, and Portland, Indiana.
In 1904, Kibele was commissioned to design and build a business block for J. H. Wysor, in Muncie, Indiana. In order to oversee the project, he moved his family to Muncie and set up offices in suite 333-335 of the Johnson Building. He soon became one of the city’s most sought-after architects. By 1911, he found himself overwhelmed with commissions and hired an assistant, local draftsman Carl Wave Garrard. In 1919, Kibele made Garrard a partner in the business, which thereafter was known as Kibele and Garrard, Architects. The two partners designed many structures in and around Muncie and surrounding communities including factory buildings, churches, schools, private residences, fraternal lodges, and hospitals.
Having arrived in Muncie after the gas boom, Kibele missed the opportunity to design the city’s most prominent houses. However, he did create additions to the homes of numerous leading citizens, including all of the Ball brothers. Perhaps because of his experience with brick-making, he used brick masonry extensively in his designs, and he favored large front porches for his houses. Among his prominent public structures are the Muncie Masonic Temple, begun in 1923, and Ball Memorial Hospital, begun shortly before his death from cancer on December 10, 1927.
Shortly after his death, the Muncie Evening Press published a tribute to the man the editors called “one of this community’s most useful citizens”:
'Great buildings here like the Masonic Temple, the Ball Memorial Hospital which is now in course of construction, the Ball Gymnasium, the Young Women’s Christian Association Building, Central High School, and other structures, will stand for many years as a monument to his ability. . . . Because Mr. Kibele was known not only to be an artist, but also because he had a civic patriotism such as is possessed by few, he long had been a power in local business affairs. In case after case . . . it was he who inspired the construction of a great building. He visioned the kind of edifice that an organization should have and then he set about quietly but effectively to induce others to his way of thinking until, finally, he would see his dream come true. . . . He loved beauty and sought to express it in the architecture that he planned; he loved the community in which he lived and strove always for its progress.'
Carl Wave Garrard, 1889-1981
Carl Wave Garrard was born in Muncie on November 8, 1889. His father supported the family by performing various jobs, including ice delivery. From an early age, Garrard took an interest in woodcarving. He was also fascinated by anything mechanical. He enjoyed taking a conventional item and turning it into or adapting it to some other practical purpose. While still in high school, Garrard enrolled in the “architectural drawing and designing” course offered by the International Correspondence Schools of Scranton, Pennsylvania. He completed eight subjects in that course between 1906 and 1908. Then he enrolled in the International Correspondence School’s “complete architectural course” and began a period of apprenticeship.
He is reported to have worked for Muncie architect George H. Keelor in 1910. Kibele hired Garrard as draftsman the following year. Garrard served in the U.S. Army during World War I, stationed in Florida, but returned to Kibele’s office when the war ended. Kibele then made him a partner in the firm.
Garrard resumed his correspondence-school education after the war. He continued with the “complete architectural course” at least until 1920. Then he began a correspondence course in commercial design through the Federal School of Commercial Designing in Minneapolis. Garrard took over the architectural firm upon Kibele’s death in 1927. He continued the business under the Kibele and Garrard name for several years, until he entered into a new partnership with James T. Keely in 1930. The firm then became known as Garrard and Keely. Garrard did the architectural work for the firm. Keely, who previously had been employed in the office for several years, did the engineering.
During World War II, when architectural commissions were scarce, Garrard worked in the drafting room of the Chevrolet plant in Muncie. He drew plans for guns to be used in the war effort.
Garrard and Keely dissolved the partnership at the end of 1948. Garrard continued to practice on his own, formally until age 72 (ca. 1961) and then on a casual, part-time basis until the mid-1970s. He died in Methodist Memorial Home in Warren, Indiana, at age 91.
34 Cubic Feet (7 flat file drawers, 2 OVA boxes, 1 OVC box, 17 manuscript boxes )
The Kibele and Garrard Architectural Records are arranged chronologically.
The Kibele and Garrard Architectural Records were received by Drawings and Documents Archive as a donation from C.W. Garrard in 1979.
No additions are expected.
Muncie Evening Press, 12 December 1927
Interview with Mr. and Mrs. C. W. Garrard, 15 August 1979
Interview with Mary Kibele, 10 March 1980
Jane Wheeler, “Cuno Kibele, Muncie Architect,” 1980
Craig Leonard, An Architectural Atlas of Wells County, Indiana, 1984
Collection processing completed 2004/8/16 by Andrew R. Seager. Finding aid created 2005/4/28 by Daniel Hartwig and Ashley Rosenthal; revised 2009/5/20 by Carol A. Street.
- Apartments Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Architecture, American Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Automobile service stations Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Bank buildings Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Buildings, commercial Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Buildings, religious Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Business records Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Documents Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Drafting tables Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Drawings, architectural (visual works) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Financial records Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Fire stations Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Furniture Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Garrard, Carl Wave, 1889-1981 Subject Source: Local sources
- Hotels Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Houses--Indiana--1930s Subject Source: Local sources
- Houses--Indiana—1910s Subject Source: Local sources
- Houses--Indiana—1920s Subject Source: Local sources
- Houses--Indiana—1940s Subject Source: Local sources
- Kibele, Cuno Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Library buildings Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Morgues and mortuaries Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Muncie (Ind.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Office equipment and supplies Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Photographs Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Printed ephemera Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Residential architecture Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- School buildings Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Scrapbooks Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Store, retail Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Theaters Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- C.W. Garrard (Firm) (Organization)
- Kibele and Garrard Architectural Records
- Created by Daniel Hartwig and Ashley Rosenthal; revised by Carol A. Street.
- Created 2005/4/28; revised 2009/5/20
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
Part of the Andrew Seager Archives of the Built Environment Repository
Architecture Building, Room 120
Muncie IN 47306 USA