Skip to main content

Clifford Shopbell Architectural Records Collection

Identifier: DADA-018

Scope and Contents

This collection includes black line prints of drawings for 7 projects by Clifford Shopbell and Co. and Shopbell, Fowler and Thole of Evansville, ca. 1916-1925. Projects include residences (Evansville, Ind.), Huntingburg Public School (Huntington, Ind.), General Baptist Church (Mt. Vernon, Ind.), grade school building (Madisonville, Ky.), and Municipal Market (Evansville, Ind.).


  • Creation: 1916 - 1925


Language of Materials

Materials entirely in English.

Conditions Governing Access

This collection is open for research.

Copyright Notice

Legal title, copyright, and literary rights reside with Drawings and Documents Archive, Archives and Special Collections, Ball State University Libraries, Muncie, IN. All requests to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted to Drawings and Documents Archive.

Biographical Note

Clifford Shopbell (1871-1939) was born in Princeton, Indiana. After graduating from high school in 1889, he worked in the Indianapolis office of architect W. Scott Moore and as a member of the engineering staff of the Evansville and Terre Haute Railroad. In 1894, Shopbell moved to Evansville, Indiana, and partnered with Will D. Harris to form the architectural firm Harris and Shopbell. The firm designed the Marcus Sonntag house, the American Trust and Savings Company, and Carnegie Libraries.

Harris died in 1910, and the firm became known as Clifford Shopbell and Co. and Shopbell, Fowler and Thole. Shopbell established an independent office in Evanston, Illinois, which he maintained until 1933. The firm designed numerous buildings in Evansville, Indiana, many of which still remain. They include the Soldiers and Sailors Memorial Coliseum (1916), the YMCA building (1913), Masonic Temple (1912), Washington Avenue Temple (1903), Washington Avenue Presbyterian Church (1913), and Reitz High School.


4 Cubic Feet (1 flat file drawer)


The Clifford Shopbell Architectural Records are arranged chronologically.

Custodial History

The Clifford Shopbell Architectural Records were received by Drawings and Documents Archive as a donation from Jack Wesley in 1982.


No additions are expected.

Processing Information

Collection processing completed.

Finding aid created 1987/8/11 by Andrew R. Seager; revised 2011/10/20 by Julie Edwards and Carol Street.

Clifford Shopbell Architectural Records
Created by Andrew R. Seager; revised by Julie Edwards and Carol Street
Created 1987/8/11; revised 2011/10/20
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
Script of description
Code for undetermined script
Language of description note

Repository Details

Part of the Andrew Seager Archives of the Built Environment Repository

Architecture Building, Room 120
Muncie IN 47306 USA
765-285-3726 (Fax)