Skip to main content

Ed Gibson and Associates Architectural Records Collection

Identifier: DADA-022

Scope and Contents

Drawings, renderings and project manuals for ten projects by the Indianapolis architectural firm Ed Gibson and Associates, dating from the late 1960s to 1985. Renderings are by Jungclaus and by Howard Associates. Gibson’s thesis, registration certificate, business records, photographs, engraved tape measure, and personal effects were added to the collection after Gibson’s death.


  • Creation: 1960 - 1985


Language of Materials

Materials entirely in English.

Conditions Governing Access

This collection is open for research.

Copyright Notice

Legal title, copyright, and literary rights reside with Drawings and Documents Archive, Archives and Special Collections, Ball State University Libraries, Muncie, IN. All requests to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted to Drawings and Documents Archive.

Biographical Note

Edwin Arthur Gibson (1925-2011) was a man of many firsts—the first African-American architect registered in the state of Indiana, first African-American architect to hold the position of Indiana's State Architect, and the first African-American architect to have his own architectural firm in Indiana.

A graduate of Crispus Attucks High School in Indianapolis, Gibson went on to the University of Illinois where he received Bachelor and Master of Science degrees in architectural engineering.

His long career, which spanned from 1945 to 2002,included work in both the public and private sectors. He originally worked for architect A.M. Strauss in Fort Wayne before moving to Indianapolis to start his own firm. Some of the buildings he designed or renovated were located at Methodist Hospital in Indianapolis, Evansville State Hospital, Central Elementary in Plainfield, Broad Ripple Library, renovations at Central Library in Indianapolis, IUPUI, IU Bloomington, including renovation of Ernie Pyle Hall, Hudnut Plaza and other HUD projects throughout Indiana.

Gibson closed his private practice in 1987 to work exclusively for Methodist Hospital.


4.6 Cubic Feet (1 flat file drawer, 1 large oversize archival box, 1 document case, 1 bound volume)


The Ed Gibson and Associates Collection is arranged chronologically.

Custodial History

The Ed Gibson and Associates Architectural Records were received by Drawings and Documents Archive as a donation from Ed Gibson on 1987/4/27; additional items were received as a donation from Gary Gibson on 2011/12/22.


No additions are expected.

Processing Information

Collection processing completed. Finding aid created 1988/6/13 by Andrew R. Seager; revised 2012/1/20 by Carol Street.

Ed Gibson and Associates Architectural Records
Created by Andrew R. Seager; revised by Carol A. Street
Created 1988/6/31; revised 2012/1/20
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
Script of description
Code for undetermined script
Language of description note

Repository Details

Part of the Andrew Seager Archives of the Built Environment Repository

Architecture Building, Room 120
Muncie IN 47306 USA
765-285-3726 (Fax)