Skip to main content

Jay C. Bixby Architectural Records Collection

Identifier: DADA-023

Scope and Contents

Collection contains architectural and business records from the architectural office in Vincennes, Indiana, begun by John B. Bayard and continued by Rudolph W. Schucker and Jay C. Bixby, ca. 1910-1965. Included are architectural working drawings by the firm for 15 projects in southwestern Indiana (in Knox, Davies, Sullivan, Spencer, and Greene Counties). At least 17 additional projects are represented by specifications, photographs, newspaper clippings, contracts, and bills for architectural services. Some of the photographs have not been identified.

Also in the collection are drawings for two houses in Nevada, Iowa, done by Bixby early in his career, Bixby scrapbook material, and plans by Hirons & Mellor (New York) for the George Rogers Clark Memorial in Vincennes, Indiana, 1931.


  • 1910 - 1965


Language of Materials

Materials entirely in English.

Conditions Governing Access

This collection is open for research.

Copyright Notice

Legal title, copyright, and literary rights reside with Drawings and Documents Archive, Archives and Special Collections, Ball State University Libraries, Muncie, IN. All requests to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted to Drawings and Documents Archive.

Biographical Note

Jay C. Bixby (1889-1983) began his career in Iowa and possibly apprenticed to J. B. MacKay, an architect in Waterloo. He then practiced on his own briefly in Nevada, Iowa in the 1910s.

By 1923, Bixby had moved to Vincennes, Indiana. By 1926 or 1927, he was employed in the office that John B. Bayard had begun in Vincennes at least a decade earlier. Rudolph W. Schucker joined Bayard’s office about the same time. For a short period, ca. 1931-1933, the firm was known as Bayard, Schucker & Bixby.

Shucker & Bixby continued the practice after Bayard’s death on April 26, 1933, until about 1952. Bixby then practiced independently until at least 1965.


5.1 Cubic Feet (1 flat file drawer, 1 medium oversize archival box, 3 legal-sized MSS boxes.)


The Jay C. Bixby Architectural Records are arranged chronologically.

Custodial History

The Jay C. Bixby Architectural Records were received by Drawings and Documents Archive as a donation from Jeanne Bixby Breining and Walter A. Breining on 1989/12/23.


No additions are expected.

Processing Information

Collection processing completed. Finding aid created 1995/7/7 by Andrew R. Seager; revised 2011/10/20 by Julie Edwards and Carol Street.

Jay C. Bixby Architectural Records
Created by Andrew R. Seager; revised by Julie Edwards and Carol Street.
Created 1995/7/7; revised 2011/10/20.
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
Script of description
Code for undetermined script
Language of description note

Repository Details

Part of the Andrew Seager Archives of the Built Environment Repository

Architecture Building, Room 120
Muncie IN 47306 USA
765-285-3726 (Fax)