Skip to main content

Johnson and Miller Architectural Records Collection

Identifier: DADA-024

Scope and Contents

Architectural drawings from the offices of M. H. Johnson, Jr., Warren D. Miller, Ewing H. Miller, and Ewing H. Miller II, ca. 1908-1984. The firm was founded in Brazil, Indiana but moved at an early date to Terre Haute. A few projects by other firms are included as well.

Includes drawings for 113 projects (102 by the Johnson and Miller firm, 11 by others), in 118 rolls. Drawings are grouped according to the name of the firm as recorded in the title block. For the Johnson and Miller firm, the arrangement is chronological.


  • 1910 - 1984


Language of Materials

Materials entirely in English.

Conditions Governing Access

This collection is open for research.

Copyright Notice

Legal title, copyright, and literary rights reside with Drawings and Documents Archive, Archives and Special Collections, Ball State University Libraries, Muncie, IN. All requests to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted to Drawings and Documents Archive.

Biographical Note

McMillan “Mac” Houston Johnson, Jr. opened an architectural office in Brazil, Indiana, in 1910. He was joined by Warren D. Miller (1887-1970) the following year, forming the firm Johnson & Miller. Johnson had studied at DePauw University and at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, while Miller had recently graduated from the architecture program at the University of Pennsylvania. The partners established a second office in Terre Haute, Indiana in the Ball Building on Ohio Street in 1912. They maintained both offices until 1915 when they closed the Brazil branch and moved the Terre Haute branch to 105 S. Seventh Street.

Warren’s brother, Ewing H. Miller, also studied architecture at the University of Pennsylvania, graduating with high honors in 1913. He joined the firm in 1919 after completing military service. The firm, then known as Johnson, Miller and Miller (1920-1923), moved to 30 N. Fifth Street in 1921.

Mac Johnson and Ewing Miller died a few months apart in 1923. Ralph O. Yeager joined the firm at about the same time. Yeager had been in Ewing Miller’s class at the University of Pennsylvania, and Miller had brought Yeager to Terre Haute. The firm did business under the name Johnson, Miller, Miller & Yeager for several years (1924-1929), and then changed the name to Miller & Yeager (1930-1945).

Allison (Al) Vrydaugh joined the firm about 1945. Ralph Yeager left to open another office with his son Ralph Jr. about the same time. The firm became Miller, Yeager & Vrydaugh for a short while (1946), and then Miller & Vrydaugh (1947-1954).

Another name change, to Miller, Vrydaugh & Miller (1955-1961), reflects the addition to the firm of Ewing Miller’s son, Ewing H. Miller II. The firm became Miller, Miller & Associates (1962-1965) upon Al Vrydaugh’s departure, later Ewing Miller Associates (1966-1970) after Warren Miller’s retirement.

Ewing Miller and Carl Bradley formed another firm, Archonics Corporation, in 1971. Commissions Miller and Bradley had received earlier were finished under other business names, however. Miller’s work during the transition period was done under the name Ewing Miller Partnership (1971-1973).

Archonics Corporation had offices in Fort Wayne and Terre Haute initially and then opened an Indianapolis office about 1973. The Indianapolis office became Archonics Design Partnership about a decade later. Archonics Design Partnership merged with HNTB around 1990.

Ewing H. Miller II was born in Toledo, Ohio in 1923. He received bachelor’s and master’s degrees in architecture from the University of Pennsylvania, then worked as a draftsman for several firms in Philadelphia and London before joining Miller, Vrydaugh & Miller. He is the recipient of several architectural design awards and a Fellow of the American Institute of Architects. He was a member of the Governor’s Commission on Aging, the Governor’s Commission on Comprehensive Health Planning, the Behavioral Research Foundation, the board of managers of the Sheldon Swope Art Gallery, and the board of directors of the Herron Art Gallery. He was past chairman of the Indianapolis Arts and Cultural Alliance and served several other civic, cultural and professional organizations. He continues to practice in Port Republic, Maryland.


12.3 Cubic Feet (3 flat file drawers, 1 letter document case, 1 legal-size document case, 1 OVA box)


The Johnson and Miller Architectural Records are arranged chronologically with exceptions to later additions.

Custodial History

The Johnson and Miller Architectural Recordswere received by Drawings and Documents Archive as a donation from Ewing H. Miller IIon 1989/7/31.


Additions are expected.

Processing Information

Collection processing completed. Finding aid created 1990/8/6 by Andrew R. Seager; revised 2012/2/01 by Julie Edwards and Carol Street.

Johnson and Miller Architectural Records
Created by Andrew R. Seager; revised by Julie Edwards and Carol Street.
Created 1990/8/6; revised 2012/2/01.
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
Script of description
Code for undetermined script
Language of description note

Repository Details

Part of the Andrew Seager Archives of the Built Environment Repository

Architecture Building, Room 120
Muncie IN 47306 USA
765-285-3726 (Fax)