Gladys J. Miller Architectural Records Collection
Scope and Contents
The collection consists of architectural drawings for 50 projects by Gladys J. Miller of Terre Haute, Indiana, executed between ca. 1950 and 1979. Most of the projects are residential in nature, located in and near Terre Haute. Among these are houses for Mr. and Mrs. W.N. Cox (1959) and Margaret Jane Adamson (1961), the conversion of a barn into a residence for Mr. and Mrs. Robert F. Prox, Jr. (1978), and a remodeling of the Indiana State University president’s house (1965). Other projects include the Covered Bridge Girl Scout Council Headquarters Building in Fairbanks Park, the Dobbs Park Nature Center (1973, 1975, both in association with Archonics Corp.), and an addition to and remodeling of the United Daycare Center (1976).
- 1950 - 1979
Language of Materials
Materials entirely in English.
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Legal title, copyright, and literary rights reside with Drawings and Documents Archive, Archives and Special Collections, Ball State University Libraries, Muncie, IN. All requests to publish or quote from manuscripts mustbe submitted to Drawings and Documents Archive.
Gladys J. Miller (1926-1993) was born Gladys Jacquelyn Good in Riverton, New Jersey. She received a bachelor of architecture degree from the University of Pennsylvania in 1949. Recipient of the university’s Murchison Prize in 1948, she traveled extensively throughout Europe. She worked in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania and in Terre Haute, Indiana as a draftsman in the offices of Alfred Bendiner (1948-50), Bolton, Martin and White (1950), and Miller and Vrydagh (1951-53), and then as a designer with Miller, Vrydagh & Miller (1954-57). In 1958, she organized her own firm, based in Terre Haute, specializing in residential architecture. She used the names Gladys J. Miller and Gladys Good Miller professionally. Also a registered architect in Ohio, Miller is said to have been the third registered woman architect in Indiana.
4 Cubic Feet (1 flat file drawer)
The Gladys J. Miller Architectural Records are arranged alphabetically.
The Gladys J. Miller Architectural Records were received by Drawings and Documents Archive as a donation from Ewing H. Miller II and Gladys J. Miller on 1989/7/22.
No additions are expected.
Collection processing completed. Finding aid created 1990/8/6 by Andrew R. Seager; revised 2011/11/1 by Julie Edwards and Carol Street.
- Architecture -- Designs and plans -- Presentation drawings Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Architecture -- Designs and plans -- Working drawings Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Architecture, American Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Architecture, commercial Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Architecture--Indiana Subject Source: Local sources
- Drawings, architectural (visual works) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Elevations Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Miller, Ewing H. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Miller, Gladys J. Good, 1926-1993 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Residential architecture Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Gladys J. Miller Architectural Records
- Created by Andrew R. Seager; revised by Julie Edwards and Carol Street
- Created 1990/8/6; revised 2011/11/1
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
Part of the Andrew Seager Archives of the Built Environment Repository
Architecture Building, Room 120
Muncie IN 47306 USA