Skip to main content

Hamilton and Graham Architectural Records Collection

 Collection
Identifier: DADA-026

Scope and Contents

Collection contains 6,013 architectural working drawings, specifications, a firm commission list, photographs, negatives, and microfiche/microfilm dating from 1910-1988 for numerous building projects from the architecture firm of Graham, Love and Graham Architects, Inc. and predecessor firms.

The earliest works of the collection were created by Charles Hamilton as a draftsman for Houck and Smenner Architects. Several records throughout the collection are commissions by other firms. The drawings are arranged chronologically.

A commission list prepared by Frederick Graham in 1990 lists projects and commission numbers, in chronological order, from 1936-87. A detailed listing of commissions and related work to Charles E. Hamilton and Frederick H. Graham can be found in A Hundred Year Succession of Indiana Architects and Their Work 1888-1988 written by Frederick H. Graham.

Dates

  • 1910 - 1988

Creator

Language of Materials

Materials entirely in English.

Conditions Governing Access

This collection is open for research.

Copyright Notice

Legal title, copyright, and literary rights reside with Drawings and Documents Archive, Archives and Special Collections, Ball State University Libraries, Muncie, IN. All requests to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted to Drawings and Documents Archive.

Biographical Note

Frederick Graham (1912-2007) earned a bachelor’s degree in architecture from the University of Michigan in 1936. He began his career with the George G. Booth Traveling Fellowship in Architecture in 1936 and became a draftsman for Alden B. Dow in 1937. He then began work for the firm of Houck and Hamilton from 1938-41. In 1941 he became partner and president of the firm Hamilton and Graham. Graham retired in 1986.

Charles Eugene Hamilton began his career as a draftsman for Houck and Smenner Architects. He later partnered with Charles Houck at first (c.1934-1940), and then Graham, forming Hamilton and Graham Architects. Hamilton retired and left the firm in 1964, but his name was retained in the firm’s title for his name's recognition and professional prestige.

The names under which the firms conducted business are:

Houck and Hamilton: 1932-40

Hamilton, Charles Eugene: 1940

Hamilton and Graham: 1941-

Hamilton, Graham and Hodge: 1964-65

Hamilton, Graham, Associates: 1966-69

Hamilton, Graham, Love and Associates: 1970

Hamilton, Graham, Love and Associates, Inc.: 1971-72

Graham, Love and Taylor, Inc.: April 17, 1972-85

Graham, Love and Graham, Architects, Inc.: 1985-89

Extent

97.2 Cubic Feet (13 flat file drawers, OVC box, manuscript box, 4 slide boxes (microfilm) )

Arrangement

The Hamilton and Graham Architectural Records are arranged chronologically.

Custodial History

The Hamilton and Graham Architectural Records were received by Drawings and Documents Archive as a donation from Frederick Graham on 1998/5/27.

Accruals

No additions are expected.

Processing Information

Collection processing completed. Finding aid created 1990/7/30 by Andrew R. Seager; revised 2012/2/17 by Julie Edwards and Carol Street.

Creator

Title
Hamilton and Graham Architectural Records
Status
Completed
Author
Created by Andrew R. Seager; revised by Julie Edwards and Carol Street.
Date
Created 1990/7/30; revised 2012/2/17.
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
Undetermined
Script of description
Code for undetermined script
Language of description note
English

Repository Details

Part of the Andrew Seager Archive of the Built Environment, A Division of University Libraries Repository

Contact:
Architecture Building, Room 120
Muncie IN 47306 USA
765-285-8441
765-285-3726 (Fax)