Werking and Son Architectural Drawings Collection
Scope and Contents
This collection is from the architectural firm founded by Charles E. Werking, located first in Hagerstown and then in Richmond, Indiana, and continued in Richmond by his son, Paul R. Werking.
The firm used several names during its history, reflecting the names of the principals in the office at the time. The business names and the dates for which we have records are:
C. E. Werking, Architect (Hagerstown): ca. 1904-1914
C. E. Werking, Architect (Richmond): ca. 1915-1917
Mueller & Werking Associated Architects & Engineers: 1918
C. E. Werking & Son, Architects; Werking & Son, Architects: 1919-1941
Werking & Son & Fallon, Architects: ca. 1926
Werking, Werking, Fallon Architects: ca. 1929
The records in the collection are all drawings, chiefly architectural working drawings. Ninety-one building projects are represented, most of which are located in Wayne County. A few are for sites elsewhere in the state—in Kosciusko, Posey, and Carroll Counties—with others in Ohio and New York. Also in the collection is a set of sketches of human figures and an architectural ornament done by Paul R. Werking while he was a student at Carnegie Institute of Technology around 1917.
Many of the working drawings are for single-family residences. These range from small cottages to substantial suburban homes. Several were designed for members of the Teetor family of Hagerstown, Indiana.
A number of schools and fraternal lodges are included, along with stores and theaters, service stations, churches, and a post office. Among the more monumental projects are the Granada Theatre in Connersville, the Posey County Memorial Coliseum, and a mausoleum for C.N. Teetor.
The Archive houses only a fraction of the Werking firm's production. The collection includes only significant and representative items selected from a larger body of work. The selection was made by and the drawings were received from Carlton C. Wilson of Wilson & Associates, Architects. Wilson & Associates is a successor to the Werking firm.
- 1904 - 1941
- Mueller and Working, Associated Architects and Engineers (Architect, Organization)
- C.E. Werking, Architect (Architect, Person)
- C.E. Werking and Son, Architects (Architect, Organization)
- Werking and Son and Fallon, Architects (Architect, Organization)
- Werking, Werking, Fallon Architects (Architect, Organization)
Language of Materials
Materials entirely in English.
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Legal title, copyright, and literary rights reside with Drawings and Documents Archive, Archives and Special Collections, Ball State University Libraries, Muncie, IN. All requests to publish or quotefrom manuscripts must be submitted to Drawings and Documents Archive.
Charles Ellsworth Werking (1869-1951), the founder of the firm C. E. Werking and Son Architects, was born in Hagerstown, Indiana. He began his career as a school teacher in Hagerstown for one year and then became a carpenter. His experience as a carpenter led him to study architecture, which he did through the International Correspondence Schools, according to Carlton C. Wilson, a later partner in the firm. He later became a registered architect and a registered professional engineer in Indiana. He also served as the Wayne County commissioner and as a grandmaster of the Hagerstown Masonic lodge.
Werking began his architecture practice in Hagerstown around 1904 using the name C. E. Werking, Architect. He remained in Hagerstown until about 1915, when he moved to Richmond, Indiana. He continued his practice in Richmond until about 1917.
In 1918, Werking collaborated with John W. Mueller under the name Mueller and Werking, Associated Architects and Engineers. Mueller was an industrial engineer who had recently moved to Richmond from New Castle, Indiana.
The association between Werking and Mueller did not last long. The following year, in 1919, John W. Mueller was practicing independently as J. W. Mueller and Co., Architects. Werking's firm took the name C. E. Werking and Son, Architects.
Werking's son, Paul Revere Werking (1896-1970), a World War I veteran, studied architecture at Carnegie Institute of Technology around 1917. He was a member of the Indiana Society of Architects by 1923.
The Werking firm was joined in the late 1920s by Joseph Rudolph Fallon. Fallon was born in Connersville, Ind., in 1898, and had his own architectural practice from about 1924 to 1926 in Connersville. Several drawing sets done during this period are attributed to Werking and Son and Fallon (ca. 1926) and Werking, Werking, Fallon, Architects (ca. 1929). After leaving the firm, Fallon practiced independently again until at least 1962.
From 1930 until at least 1947, the Werking firm again became C.E. Werking and Son, Architects. Their offices were located in the Palladium building in Richmond until 1925. The firm then moved to the American Trust (Bank) Building. Between 1929 and 1936, the offices were located at 2000 E. Main St. The March 1931 issue of American Architect includes photographs of the Werking and Son offices, presumably at this address. Beginning in 1944, Paul Werking did some work under his own name.
Carlton C. (Tony) Wilson became a partner in the firm in the late 1940s or 1950s. Wilson continued the business for a while in partnership with Richard H. Terwilliger. Wilson, Terwilliger and Van Voorhis, Architects and Engineers, was located at 2 North 15th St. in the 1950s. In 1959, Wilson and Terwilliger, Architects moved their offices to 100 South 12th St. Since ca. 1970 the firm has been Wilson and Associates, Architects, at the same address.
8 Cubic Feet (2 flat file drawers)
The Werking & Son Architectural Drawings are arranged chronologically.
The Werking & Son Architectural Drawings were received by Drawings and Documents Archive as a donation from Carlton C. Wilson in 1990.
No additions are expected.
Collection processing completed. Finding aid created 1990/5/30 by Andrew R. Seager; revised 2012/2/17 by Julie Edwards and Carol Street
- Architecture, American Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Architecture, commercial Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Architecture--Indiana--Wayne County Subject Source: Local sources
- Architecture--New York (State)--New York Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Architecture--Ohio Subject Source: Local sources
- Automobile service stations Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Buildings, commercial Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Buildings, religious Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Buildings, residential Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Bungalows Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Drawings, architectural (visual works) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Elevations Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Lodges, fraternal Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Residential architecture Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- School buildings Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Theaters Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Werking and Son Architectural Drawings
- Created by Andrew R. Seager; revised by Julie Edwards and Carol Street.
- Created 1990/5/30; revised 2012/2/17.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
Part of the Andrew Seager Archives of the Built Environment Repository
Architecture Building, Room 120
Muncie IN 47306 USA