Skip to main content

Richard E. Beaman and Associates Architectural Records Collection

Identifier: DADA-029

Scope and Contents

The collection contains 745 architectural drawings and one folder of correspondence related to projects by the firm from 1957-81. There are working drawings for projects by Philip C. Gardner, professional engineer (1 project, 1957), John P. Guyer (1 project, 1959), Richard E. Beaman and Associates, designers (35 projects, 1961-1969), and Beaman, Guyer and Associates, architects and engineers (19 projects, 1969-1981).

The projects are mostly commercial buildings (offices, restaurants, stores, factories, motels) and churches, located in Indiana, Kentucky, and Ohio. Many are located in the Indianapolis area.

The materials from the Beaman office were received in two groups and were treated as two collections (29-and 29.1-). Each group is arranged chronologically.


  • 1957 - 1981


Language of Materials

Materials entirely in English.

Conditions Governing Access

This collection is open for research.

Copyright Notice

Legal title, copyright, and literary rights reside with Drawings and Documents Archive, Archives and Special Collections, Ball State University Libraries, Muncie, IN. All requests to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted to Drawings and Documents Archive.

Biographical Note

Richard E. Beaman, an engineer, founded Richard E. Beaman and Associates, Designers, in 1958 and the firm continued under that name until 1969. Their offices were located in Indianapolis, first at 3909 E. 11th St., then at 205 E. Hanna Ave., then at 324 E. Hanna Ave. From 1969 until ca. 1990, the business was known as Beaman, Guyer and Associates, Architects and Engineers. The business incorporated ca. 1971 and moved ca. 1974 to 5103 Madison Ave.

Robert E. Beaman, an architect and graduate of Ball State University, joined the firm in 1977.

The principals of the firm in the late 1980s were Richard B. Beaman, John P. Guyer, Willis R. Clark, and Robert E. Beaman.

As of 2012, the firm continues as Beaman Associates, Inc., Architects-Engineers.


8.1 Cubic Feet (2 flat file drawers, 1 file folder)


The Richard E. Beaman and Associates Architectural Records are arranged chronologically.

Custodial History

The Richard E. Beaman and Associates Architectural Records were received by Drawings and Documents Archive as a donation from Robert E. Beaman, Beaman Associates on 1991/7/16.


No additions are expected.

Processing Information

Collection processing completed. Finding aid created 1998/6/1 by Andrew R. Seager; revised 2011/11/1 by Julie Edwards; revised 2012/2/17 by Carol Street

Richard E. Beaman and Associates Architectural Records
Created by Andrew R. Seager; revised by Julie Edwards in 2011 and by Carol Street in 2012.
Created 1998/6/1; revised 2011/11/1, 2012/2/17
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
Script of description
Code for undetermined script
Language of description note

Repository Details

Part of the Andrew Seager Archives of the Built Environment Repository

Architecture Building, Room 120
Muncie IN 47306 USA
765-285-3726 (Fax)