Skip to main content

A.M. Strauss Architectural Records Collection

Identifier: DADA-032

Scope and Contents

The collection contains thousands of architectural and engineering drawings, sketches, blueprints, and six folders of specifications and photographs created by the office of A.M. Strauss, A.M. Strauss, Inc., A.M. Strauss and Associates, Inc., and Strauss Associates, Inc., from inception at commission 101 through commission 2479 (ca.1918-1992).

The collection includes drawings for a few projects by other firms, among them blueprints for the Allen County Courthouse by B. S. Tolan. Not included are drawings for the Fort Wayne Children’s Zoo, project nos. 1792, 2076, 2381, 2396, 2399, and 2439, which were given to the Fort Wayne Parks and Recreation Department, or projects nos. 2165, 2333, and 2471, which are missing.


  • 1918 - 1992


Language of Materials

Materials entirely in English.

Conditions Governing Access

This collection is open for research.

Copyright Notice

Legal title, copyright, and literary rights reside with Drawings and Documents Archive, Archives and Special Collections, Ball State University Libraries, Muncie, IN. All requests to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted to Drawings and Documents Archive.

Biographical Note

Alvin Max Strauss (1895-1958) was born in Kendallville, Indiana. After graduating from high school in 1912, he apprenticed with Charles R. Weatherhogg, J. M. E. Riedel, and J. F. Wing. Around 1918 he established his own business, A.M. Strauss, Architect, in Fort Wayne. During World War I, Strauss served in the U.S. Motor Transport Corps. He was a director of the Indiana Society of Architects, president of the Fort Wayne Society of Architects, member of the State Architects Registration Board, and active in other civic and fraternal organizations.

The firm was incorporated as A.M. Strauss, Inc., in 1948. In 1958, shortly before Mr. Strauss’s death, it was reorganized as A.M. Strauss and Associates, Inc. Joseph J. Hulfeld succeeded A. M. Strauss as President. The firm became Strauss Associates, Inc. prior to 1970.

Herman Steiner Strauss was born in Evanston, Illinois, in 1932. He joined the firm in 1950, received a Bachelor’s of Science in Architecture from the University of Cincinnati in 1956, became an associate in the firm and Vice-President in 1958, and in later years was the firm’s President.

Biographical files on A.M. Strauss are available at the Drawings and Documents Archive.


164 Cubic Feet (6 flat file drawers, 84 boxes, 1 manuscript box)


The A.M. Strauss Architectural Records are arranged by original project number.

Custodial History

The A.M. Strauss Architectural Records were received by Drawings and Documents Archive as a donation from Herman S. Strauss on 1996/5/17.


No additions are expected.

Processing Information

Collection processing completed. Finding aid created 1998/6/10 by Andrew R. Seager; revised 2011/11/1 by Julie Edwards; revised 2012/2/17 by Carol Street.

A.M. Strauss Architectural Records
Created by Andrew R. Seager; revised by Julie Edwards in 2011 and by Carol Street in 2012.
Created 1998/6/10; revised 2011/11/1, 2012/2/17.
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
Script of description
Code for undetermined script
Language of description note

Repository Details

Part of the Andrew Seager Archives of the Built Environment Repository

Architecture Building, Room 120
Muncie IN 47306 USA
765-285-3726 (Fax)