Daniel B. Young Landscape Architectural Records
Scope and Contents
This collection contains photographs and nine sets of landscape architectural drawings for projects in Delaware, Grant, and Madison counties, Indiana, designed by Daniel B. Young and Daniel B. Young and Associates. It covers the period 1971 to 1979.
Many of the drawings are for proposed improvements at municipal and county parks: Shideler Park, Gaston town park, Bicentennial Park in Daleville, Streaty Park in Anderson (on microfilm), and four city parks in Marion, Indiana. Specifications for some of the park improvements are included as well, as is a copy of the 1976 Delaware County Parks and Recreation Master Plan. One set of drawings concerns landscape improvements to the courthouse plaza in Portland, Indiana. For private clients, Young’s office designed a parking plaza for a bank in Portland, Indiana (1974) and the landscape for a prototype prefabricated house built by Ball Building Systems (1978).
On photographic film are views of the landscape for a First National bank; the office of Daniel B. Young and Associates on High Street in Muncie, ca. 1975, with employees Lloyd Trump and Michael Sommer; and a 1976 event at Shideler Park, with Dan Young, Betty Guemple, Norman Tirey, and Dick Johnson.
The earliest project in the collection is a 1971 set of drawings by Young for an “Optimal Planning Approach to an Ecologically Defined Unit of Land.”
- 1971 - 1979
- Young, Daniel B. (Daniel Brazil), 1934-1986 (Landscape architect, Person)
- Daniel B. Young and Associates (Landscape architect, Organization)
Language of Materials
Materials entirely in English.
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Legal title, copyright, and literary rights reside with Drawings and Documents Archive, Archives and Special Collections, Ball State University Libraries, Muncie, IN. All requests to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted to Drawings and Documents Archive.
Daniel Brazil Young was born 12 August 1934 at Bingham, Utah. He did his undergraduate studies at the University of Utah, receiving a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree in 1961 and a Bachelor of Architecture degree in 1963. He then completed a Master of Landscape Architecture at the University of Michigan in 1965.
Young joined the faculty of landscape architecture at Ball State University in 1970. Shortly thereafter, in 1971 or 1972, he founded Daniel B. Young and Associates, Landscape Architects, with offices on High Street in Muncie. David L. Ferguson, Lloyd Trump, and Michael Sommer, graduates of the landscape architecture program at Ball State University, worked in Young’s office ca. 1975.
Young acquired the Brumond Smith Nursery in Muncie about 1978. His firm went bankrupt in 1979, and the nursery reverted to the Smith family.
Young resumed landscape architecture practice as Daniel B. Young, AIA, ASLA but then moved to Denver shortly thereafter, having joined the faculty of the University of Colorado. David Ferguson kept the office open for a few months but then closed the doors and joined LandPlus West in 1980.
Young died unexpectedly on 6 January 1986.
4.3 Cubic Feet (1 flat file drawer, 1 manuscript box)
The Daniel B. Young Architectural Records are arranged chronologically.
The Daniel B. Young Landscape Architectural Records were received by Drawings and Documents Archive as a donation from Dave L. Ferguson on 1999/8/10.
No additions are expected.
Collection processing completed. Finding aid created 2003/7/1 by Andrew R. Seager; revised 2011/11/1 by Julie Edwards; revised 2012/2/20 by Carol Street.
- Architecture, American Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Architecture--Indiana--Indianapolis Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Documents on microfilm Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Drawings, architectural (visual works) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Landscape architecture Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Park (recreation area) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Photographs Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Recreation centers Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Young, Daniel B. (Daniel Brazil), 1934-1986 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Daniel B. Young Landscape Architectural Records
- Created by Andrew R. Seager; revised by Julie Edwards in 2011 and by Carol Street in 2012.
- Created 2003/7/1; revised 2011/11/1, 2012/2/20.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
Part of the Andrew Seager Archives of the Built Environment Repository
Architecture Building, Room 120
Muncie IN 47306 USA