Claire Bennett Associates Drawings Collection
Scope and Contents
The collection consists of working drawings and prints for 125 landscape projects, primarily in the Indianapolis metropolitan region. A majority of the projects are residential landscape designs. Others include apartment complex master plans, golf course design, and public school work. The projects begin in 1978 with the Pate residence landscape plan and conclude in 1997 with the Shoemaker residence. Significant projects in the collection include Stony Creek Golf Course in Noblesville, Indiana, the United Airlines Plaza at the Indianapolis International Airport, St. Luke’s United Methodist Church in Indianapolis, and certain residential landscape designs including the Sato residence, the Byrum-Gates residence, and the Pate residence.
- 1978 - 1997
- Claire Bennett Associates (Landscape architect, Organization)
- Landstory (Landscape architect, Organization)
Language of Materials
Materials entirely in English.
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Legal title, copyright, and literary rights reside with Drawings and Documents Archive, Archives and Special Collections, Ball State University Libraries, Muncie, IN. All requests to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted to Drawings and Documents Archive.
Claire Bennett, FASLA, began Claire Bennett Associates in 1974. It started as a small practice that focused on large, estate residential design and commercial landscape architecture design. Joann Green joined the firm in 1992, and Bennett retired in 1997. The firm became known as CBA and then later changed its name to Landstory.
In 2003, INASLA unveiled the initial “Claire Bennett Legacy Award” to recognize individual knowledge, achievement, and service to the profession and the Indiana Chapter. Bennett was a long-time Indiana Chapter Member and served as the president of the Indiana Chapter in 1978 and as the National President of ASLA in 1990-1991. The legacy of service she provided for the Indiana Chapter, as well as the leadership to ASLA on a national level, inspired the creation of this award named in her honor to recognize those members who embody those same ideals.
16.5 Cubic Feet (3 flat file drawers; overhead bins)
The Claire Bennett Associates Drawings are arranged chronologically.
The Claire Bennett Associates Drawings were received by Drawings and Documents Archive as a donation from Joann Green on 2004/8/31.
No additions are expected.
Collection processing completed. Finding aid created 2005/4/28; revised 2012/3/6 by Carol Street.
- Architecture -- Designs and plans -- Presentation drawings Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Architecture, American Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Architecture, commercial Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Architecture--Indiana--Indianapolis Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Drawings, architectural (visual works) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Elevations Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Landscape architecture Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Landscape design Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Park (recreation area) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Urban landscape architecture Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Claire Bennett Associates Drawings
- Revised in by Carol Street.
- Created 2005/4/28; revised 2012/3/6.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
Part of the Andrew Seager Archives of the Built Environment Repository
Architecture Building, Room 120
Muncie IN 47306 USA