Wright, Porteous and Lowe, Inc. Architectural Records Collection
Scope and Contents
The collection consists of 157 rolls of architectural working drawings and presentation drawings by Wright, Porteous and Lowe and predecessor firms, two portfolios of WPL work, 33 photographs, 2 framed collages, and 3 framed perspective renderings. Works of other firms include:
Bonar and Associates
The Kellams Group
Robert L. Larue and Associates
McNamee Porter and Selee
Henry B. Steig and Associates
- Creation: 1908 - 1993
- Wright, Porteous and Lowe (Architect, Organization)
- Vonnegut, Bohn and Mueller (Architect, Organization)
- Vonnegut and Wright (Architect, Organization)
- Vonnegut, Wright and Yeager (Architect, Organization)
- Vonnegut, Wright and Porteous (Architect, Organization)
- Wright, Porteous and Associates (Architect, Organization)
Language of Materials
Materials entirely in English.
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Legal title, copyright, and literary rights reside with Drawings and Documents Archive, Archives and Special Collections, Ball State University Libraries, Muncie, IN. All requests to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted to Drawings and Documents Archive.
This firm originated as Vonnegut and Bohn in Indianapolis ca. 1887 with principals Bernard Vonnegut (1858-1908) and Arthur Bohn (1862-1948). After Bernard Vonnegut’s, his son Kurt Vonnegut, Sr. (1885-1956) joined the firm. Early locations are cited as 62 Vance Block, but in 1919 it was listed as 610 Indiana Trust Building.
The firm became Vonnegut, Bohn and Mueller from ca. 1920-1944 with the addition of principal O. N. Mueller, a mechanical-structural engineer. Bohn retired from the firm around the same time that architects George Caleb Wright and Edward D. Pierre dissolved their partnership, known as Pierre and Wright. Wright joined the firm which became Vonnegut and Wright for a short time in 1944. And later, ca. 1945, it became Vonnegut, Wright and Yeager. Yeager’s involvement with the firm was brief, and Alfred John Porteous joined the firm by 1955. The name changed to Vonnegut, Wright, and Porteous, Inc. and then Wright, Porteous and Associates, Inc.
George Caleb Wright retired in 1961 and the firm became Wright, Porteous and Lowe, Inc. Principals were William Caleb Wright (G. C. Wright’s son), Alfred John Porteous, and C. Charles Lowe, Jr. The firm was located at 19 W. 38th Street.
By 1991, the firm had become a subsidiary of Bonar and Associates, Inc. in Fort Wayne, Indiana. The offices moved to 3021 E. 98th Street, Suite 110. In 2010 the firm merged with GAI Consultants, a large firm with locations in ten states.
58 Cubic Feet (2 OVB boxes, 157 drawing rolls, oversized framed collage)
The Wright, Porteous, and Lowe, Inc. drawings are processed chronologically.
The Wright, Porteous and Lowe, Inc. Architectural Records were received by Drawings and Documents Archive as a donation from James R. Wine, Bonar Group on 2003/5/22.
No additions are expected.
Collection processing completed. Finding aid created 2005/4/28; revised 2012/3/6 by Julie Edwards.
Genre / Form
- Aerial photographs
- Architecture -- Designs and plans -- Presentation drawings
- Architecture -- Designs and plans -- Working drawings
- Buildings, commercial
- Buildings, religious
- Buildings, residential
- Drawings, architectural (visual works)
- School buildings
- Store, retail
Style / Period
- Wright, Porteous and Lowe, Inc. Architectural Records
- Revised by Julie Edwards.
- Created 2005/4/28; revised 2012/3/6.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
Part of the Andrew Seager Archives of the Built Environment Repository
Architecture Building, Room 120
Muncie IN 47306 USA