Eric Fulford Landscape Drawings Collection
Scope and Contents
This collection consists of 43 sheets of landscape and master plan drawings from the office of Eric Fulford, Indianapolis landscape architect. Fulford’s work covers the period of 1986-2010, but the collection includes copies of historical landscape drawings by other architects from 1923-1937.
The drawings are mostly landscape and master plans for residences and civic environments in Marion and Hamilton Counties. These include landscape plans for the Central Canal that depict sites and structures along the downtown Indianapolis canal. Planned communities in Hamilton County are seen in the drawings of the Village of West Clay and Fountain Square, an “exit 10 community.” There are master plans for the commercial and canal districts in Broad Ripple from 1998-2002.
The collection of drawings pertaining to the Indianapolis Museum of Art’s Westerley Estate contain copies of drawings from previous landscape architects that Fulford likely used as source material to define his work. Copies of the original landscape plan dating from 1923 by Jens Jensen which were sourced from the Jens Jensen Papers at the University of Michigan Library are present, as are Fritz Loonsten drawings from the 1930s. These copies are retained with the collection because of Fulford’s notes on the drawings, and due to the fact that they were source materials for his plans. Researchers are unable to copy them and must consult the originating institution for their use.
The most recent set of plans are from Fulford’s 2010 work on the Sidney and Lois Eskenazi Hospital and Eskenazi Health campus, formerly Wishard Hospital, that opened in December 2013. The architectural firm HOK is the principal firm for the large project, and their name is featured prominently on the drawings, while NINebark, Inc., Fulford’s company, is listed as a partnering firm.
- 1923 - 2010
- Majority of material found in 1986-2010
- Fulford, Eric (Landscape architect, Person)
Language of Materials
Materials entirely in English.
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Legal title, copyright, and literary rights reside with Drawings and Documents Archive, Archives and Special Collections, Ball State University Libraries, Muncie, IN. All requests to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted to Drawings and Documents Archive.
Eric Fulford was born in 1951 in Atlanta, Georgia, and raised in Portland, Oregon. He studied geology as an undergraduate at Oregon State University before earning his masters of landscape architecture from the University of Illinois in 1978 and a degree in urban design and countryside planning from the University of Edinburgh, Scotland.
Fulford worked most of his career as a landscape architect in Indianapolis, Indiana. He was awarded the Rome Prize in Landscape Architecture in 1992 and spent a yearlong fellowship at the American Academy in Rome. There, he exhibited his drawings in gallery installations titled The Furnaces of Rome, regarding the history of the Chiesa di San Lorenzo; and Garden State Altar.
Fulford opened NINebark, Inc.,a creative design studio, with his wife, Ann Reed, in 1995. His numerous contributions to the landscape of the city can be seen at the grounds of the Eiteljorg Museum, the Central Canal, Broad Ripple, along the Monon trail, and at the White River State Park, among other locations. He was an advocate for preserving historic memorials and landscapes in the city, as well as creating new ones. One of his final projects was the Sky Farm for Eskenazi Hospital (formerly Wishard Hospital), which was a 30,000 square foot green roof that included an organic garden meant to supply the hospital cafeteria with fresh vegetables.
1 Cubic Feet (1 flat file drawer)
The Eric Fulford Landscape Drawings are arranged chronologically.
The Eric Fulford Landscape Drawings were received by Drawings and Documents Archive as a donation from Ian Fulford on 2014/2/28.
No additions are expected.
Collection processing completed. Finding aid created 2014/5/15 by Carol Street.
- Architecture, American Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Architecture--Indiana--Indianapolis Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Drawings, architectural (visual works) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Elevations Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Fulford, Eric (1951-2012) Subject Source: Local sources
- Hospital buildings Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Hospitals Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Indianapolis (Ind.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Landscape architecture Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Landscape design Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Park (recreation area) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Residential architecture Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Urban landscape architecture Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Eric Fulford Landscape Drawings
- Created by Carol Street
- Created 2014/5/15.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
Part of the Andrew Seager Archives of the Built Environment Repository
Architecture Building, Room 120
Muncie IN 47306 USA