Ball State University Properties Collections
Scope and Contents
This collection consists of drawings for buildings and properties belonging to Ball State University. It includes topographic maps of campus, working drawings for various buildings on campus, specifications, project manuals, and landscape plans. Also in the collection are building programs, competition announcements, records of building committee meetings, shop drawings, architectural renderings, models, and artifacts.
- Creation: 1898 to present
Language of Materials
Materials entirely in English.
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Legal title, copyright, and literary rights reside with Drawings and Documents Archive, Archives and Special Collections, Ball State University Libraries, Muncie, IN. All requests to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted to Drawings and Documents Archive.
Ball State University began in 1899 as a small, private teacher training school in Muncie, Indiana. After the community’s efforts to sustain the college failed, the Ball brothers of Ball Brothers Company purchased the land and buildings of the defunct institution and donated them to the State of Indiana. This gift became the Indiana State Normal School Eastern Division, which opened in 1918 to meet Indiana’s need for more and better teachers.
In recognition of the Ball family’s generosity, the Indiana General Assembly changed the school’s name to Ball Teachers College in 1922 and then Ball State Teachers College in 1929.
By the 1960s, the regional teachers college had begun to attract faculty from outside the Midwest and students sought majors in areas outside of teaching. In 1965, the Indiana General Assembly renamed the college Ball State University in recognition of its expanded curriculum.
68 Cubic Feet (15 flat file drawers, 5 manuscript boxes, 1 legal-sized manuscript box, 1 artifact box, 1 OVA box, 1 OVB box, overhead bin)
The Ball State University Properties Collection is arranged by project.
The Ball State University Properties Collection was received by Drawings and Documents Archive as a donation from Ball State University Facilities Planning and other offices.
Additions are expected.
Collection processing completed. Finding aid created 2012/3/19 by Carol Street.
- Ball State University Properties Collections
- Created by Carol Street
- Created 2012/3/19
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
Part of the Andrew Seager Archives of the Built Environment Repository
Architecture Building, Room 120
Muncie IN 47306 USA