Ball State University Women's Club records and scrapbooks
Scope and Contents
This collection includes an organizational history, financial records, newspaper clippings, newsletters, program books, minutes, agenda, correspondence, photographs, newcomers’ reports, and treasurers’ books ranging from 1931 to 2004.
- Creation: 1931-2016
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Legal title, copyright, and literary rights reside with Ball State University, Muncie, IN. All requests to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted to Archives and Special Collections.
In 1929, a group of women began to meet informally as the Faculty Wives Club, shortly after Ball Teachers College, Eastern Division, Indiana State Normal School became Ball State Teachers College. Dues were set at 25 cents, and by 1931, the group kept formal minutes. The early meetings featured music, travelogues, book reviews, and dramatic readings.
During World War II, the women supported the effort by reading books about war, giving Defense Stamps as prizes at bridge games, and featuring the music of Russia, China, and England. In 1947, the first constitution of the Faculty Wives Club was agreed upon by the members. In the 1950s, the group held fashion shows, events for husbands, and dances. 1966 witnessed a change in the club's name from Faculty Wives Club to University Wives Club, one year following Ball State Teachers College became Ball State University. The Women's Club formed and sponsored the University Dames Club, a group for Ball State University students' wives, in 1969.
The University Wives sought to encourage greater participation by expanding the scope of their members to include other women associated with the University in 1981 be renaming themselves the Ball State University Wives and Women. Finally, in 1992, they renamed themselves the Ball State University Women's Club.
3.1 Cubic Feet (10 Boxes)
Language of Materials
This collection is organized in the following series:
Series 1: Women's Club records, 1947-2004
Series 2: Women's Club scrapbooks, 1947-2004
Series 3: Gourmet club records, 1968-1979
This collections was received by Archives and Special Collections as a donation from the Ball State University Wives Club on 1977/06/20. Additional materials were received as donations.
No additions are expected.
Collection processing completed 2008/01/06 by Carolyn F. Runyon. EAD finding aid completed 2008/01/06 by Carolyn F. Runyon.
- Ball State University Women's Club Records and Scrapbooks
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Ball State University Archives Repository
Alexander M. Bracken Library
2000 W. University Avenue
Muncie Indiana 47306 USA