Marion Normal College records
Scope and Contents
This collection includes a 1912 panoramic photograph as well as an original copy and a photocopy of the 1912 Mississenewa yearbook produced by Marion Normal College, later known as the Marion Normal School and Business University, located in Marion, Indiana.
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Ball State University Libraries make every reasonable effort to provide accurate information regarding the copyright status of materials held by Archives and Special Collections. Patrons may scan items or request a reproduction of one or more items in the collection; however, it is the responsibility of the patron to evaluate whether or not the intended use complies with copyright law.
Marion Normal College was formed in 1880 in Marion, Indiana by Thomas Diggs Tharp, a minister for the Methodist Episcopal Church. In 1885, leadership of the school was transferred to Dr. Joseph Tingley. The college struggled to establish itself in the community until Dr. T. W. Johnson purchased the school and hired Professor A. Jones as its president. Under this leadership, the college was relocated to 38th and Washington Street where it quickly progressed. As attendance increased, the college campus expanded and academic programs were added. Shortly after this initial expansion, the college presidency was transferred to Professor C. W. Boucher. President Boucher changed the name of Marion Normal College to Marion Normal School and Business University and had several more buildings constructed on campus. In 1912, President Boucher accepted an offer to consolidate the university with several colleges in Muncie, Indiana. Muncie Normal School and Business University was merged with the National Manual Training Corporation, the Indiana Manual Training Company, and the Muncie Conservatory of Music to form the Muncie Normal Institute, which opened its doors on September 17, 1912.
Despite the university's move to Muncie, interest in higher education remained in Marion. Professor A. Jones was able to secure the support, property, and funds to reopen the campus as Marion Normal Institute in September of 1912. Despite some losses from the predecessor university's move, Marion Normal Institute found success. However in the Spring of 1918, financial strain and the effects of World War I led the institution to close its doors. At the same time, the Wesleyan Church Conference proposed Marion as a possible site for a new Wesleyan school. Negotiations were successful, and the campus of the former Marion Normal Institute became the new Marion College in the fall of 1920. Marion College has had long-lasting success in the state of Indiana, and in 1988 the college changed its name to Indiana Wesleyan University.
0.5 Cubic Feet (2 legal folders and 1 oversize photograph)
Language of Materials
This collection is arranged alphabetically.
Materials from RG.01.02.01 and RG.03.01.04 were combined to create the new UA.063 collection.
- Ball State University -- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Education Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Marion (Ind.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Student activities Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Student organizations Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Students Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Teachers Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Yearbooks Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Marion Normal College records
- Mindy Shull
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Ball State University Archives Repository
Alexander M. Bracken Library
2000 W. University Avenue
Muncie Indiana 47306 USA