Ball State University Board of Trustees memoranda
Scope and Contents
This collection includes memoranda produced by the Ball State University Board of Trustees ranging from 1968 to 1996.
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Legal title, copyright, and literary rights reside with Ball State University, Muncie, IN. All requests to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted to Archives and Special Collections.
In 1917, the Indiana General Assembly passed legislation permitting state educational institutions to receive private gifts, and after a generous donation from the Ball family and six months of negotiations, the Board of Trustees of the Indiana State Normal School in Terre Haute accepted the Ball brothers offer of their school property in Muncie on April 4, 1918. Acceptance of the property in Muncie, Indiana prompted the April 14, 1918 renaming of the college as the Eastern Division of the Indiana State Normal School (1865-1929).
The Eastern Division of the Indiana State Normal School in Muncie, Indiana was governed by the Indiana State Normal School Board of Trustees. Until 1961, the Indiana State Teachers College (1929-1965) Board of Trustees governed Ball State Teachers College (1929-1965). The Ball State Teachers College Board of Trustees was formed in 1961, and upon the schools recognition as Ball State University in 1965, the Ball State University Board of Trustees has been responsible for the administration of Muncie's college.
The nine members of the Ball State University Board of Trustees are appointed by the governor of Indiana. The members include two Ball State University alumni, one full-time student, and six members appointed at large. Appointees serve four year terms.
The Board's duties are to:
manage, control, and operate Ball State
borrow money, issue bonds, and let contracts
prescribe conditions for admission
grant degrees and issue diplomas or certificates
set fees, charges, fines, and penalties
define the duties of and provide compensation for faculty and staff of the university
receive and administer all donations, bequests, grants, funds, and property that are given or provided to the University
possess all the powers in order to effectively operate the affairs of Ball State University
0.4 Cubic Feet (2 Boxes)
Language of Materials
This collection is arranged chronologically.
This collection was received by Archives and Special Collections as a records transfer from the Ball State University Board of Trustees.
No additions expected.
- White, Glenn. 1967. The Ball State Story: From Normal Institute to University. Muncie Indiana: Ball State University.
- Edmonds, Anthony O. and E. Bruce Geelhoed. 2001. Ball State University: An Interpretive History. Bloomington: Indiana University Press.
- Ball State University Board of Trustees. “Board of Trustees.” Ball State University. http://cms.bsu.edu/About/AdministrativeOffices/President/Administration/BoardofTrustees.aspx (accessed February 20, 2009).
Finding aid created 2009/01/14 by Lauren E. Holditch. EAD finding aid completed 2009/02/20 by Carolyn F. Runyon.
- Ball State University Board of Trustees Memoranda
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Ball State University Archives Repository
Alexander M. Bracken Library
2000 W. University Avenue
Muncie Indiana 47306 USA