Ralph W. Noyer administrative papers
Scope and Contents
This collection includes faculty files, course files, department files, CAA-WTS files, and subject files from Ralph W. Noyer, dean of the Ball State Teachers College in Muncie, Indiana ranging from 1928 to 1959 regarding Dr. Noyer's administration at Ball State.
Language of Materials
Materials in English.
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Legal title, copyright, and literary rights reside with Archives and Special Collections, Ball State University Libraries, Muncie, IN. All requests to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted to Archives and Special Collections.
Dr. Ralph W. Noyer was born in Rochester, Indiana in 1885 to L.M. and Ella Noyer. He graduated from Indiana University with his A.B. degree in 1906, and with his master's degree in 1910. In 1922, he was awarded his Ph.D. from Iowa State University. Dr. Noyer also studied at the Teachers College at Columbia University in New York City after completing his doctorate.
From 1904 to 1905, Dr. Noyer served as assistant principal, and as teacher of Latin and English, at Akron High School in Indiana. Following that, he was head of the Latin department at Bloomington High School from 1906 to 1911, and then became vice principal at the high school in New Albany, Indiana from 1911 to 1914. From 1914 to 1916, Dr. Noyer was professor of public speaking at the State Teachers College in Kirksville, Missouri, and starting in 1916 he spent twelve years as the head of the department of English, and, later, as director of the extension and publicity division at Nebraska State Teachers College in Kearney, Nebraska.
Dr. Noyer became dean of the Ball State Teachers College on January 1, 1928. During his early years with the college, he also served as head of the foreign language department. After 24 years as dean, Dr. Noyer retired from Ball State in 1952. Following his retirement, he taught education courses at Anderson College, and he returned to Ball State in 1955 to teach English. Dr. Noyer passed away in November 1959.
10 Cubic Feet (10 Boxes)
Arranged in the following series and subseries:
Series 1: Faculty files, 1928-1956
Series 2: Course files, 1929-1951
Series 3: Department files, 1928-1935
Series 4: Civil Aeronautics Administration (CAA)-War Training Service (WTS) files, 1940-1944
...Subseries 4.1: Course memoranda, reports, and other materials, 1940-1944
...Subseries 4.2: Equipment and Uniform check lists, 1942-1944
Series 5: Subject files, 1930-1959
No further additions are expected.
EAD finding aid created 2012/06/19 by Lisa Barney.
- Ball State University -- Faculty Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Ball State University -- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Ball State University -- Records and correspondence. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- College administrators Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Courses and lectures Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Universities and colleges -- Administration Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- University Archives Subject Source: Local sources
- World War, 1939-1945 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Ralph W. Noyer administrative papers
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Ball State University Archives Repository
Alexander M. Bracken Library
2000 W. University Avenue
Muncie Indiana 47306 USA