Earl Conn papers
Scope and Contents
This collection includes promotional materials, newspaper articles, and essays from the Midwest Writers' Conference and Earl Conn's courses in Muncie, IN ranging from 1973 to 2004 regarding creative writing, journalism, and Ball State History.
Language of Materials
Materials in English.
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Biographical Note / Historical Note / Administrative History
Earl Conn (1927-2009) was a member of the Ball State faculty from 1958-1998 and worked for the Department of Journalism. He was named chair of the Journalism department in 1984 and went on to serve as the founding dean of the College of Communications in 1996. Throughout his time at Ball State, he remained a journalist, freelance writer, and an active member of the Friends Memorial Church. After retiring from Ball State in 1998, Conn continued to work as a writer and penned a series of Indiana travel columns that appeared in newspapers across the state.
In 1973, Conn helped organize the first Midwest Writers' Workshop, a three-day program that brought aspiring local writers to Ball State for the purpose of meeting with other professional writers and improving their craft. The program has continued to this day and serves writers across many genres and interests. The program continues to bring noteworthy authors to Muncie on a yearly basis.
1 Cubic Feet (1 Box)
Arranged chronologically in the following series:
Series 1: Earl Conn Professional Papers
Series 2: Midwest Writers' Workshop Records
This collection was received by Archives and Special Collections as a donation from Donna Penticuff on 2009/11/24
- Ball State University -- Faculty Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Ball State University -- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Ball State University -- History -- Sources Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Ball State University -- Records and correspondence. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Journalism Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Earl Conn papers
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Ball State University Archives Repository
Alexander M. Bracken Library
2000 W. University Avenue
Muncie Indiana 47306 USA