Skip to main content

E. B. and Bertha C. Ball Center records

 Collection
Identifier: RG-05-09-01

Scope and Contents

This collection includes brochures, flyers, programs, news releases and clippings, programming records, project proposals, scrapbooks, and reports ranging from 1972 to 1996.

Dates

  • 1972-2003

Conditions Governing Access

This collection is open for research.

Copyright Notice

Legal title, copyright, and literary rights reside with Ball State University, Muncie, IN. All requests to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted to Archives and Special Collections.

Administrative History

The E. B. and Bertha C. Ball Center on Minnetrista Boulevard has been a Muncie landmark since it was completed in 1907 by Mr. And Mrs. E. B. Ball.

For fifty years, "Nebosham," as the house was originally named, was the family home of Mr. and Mrs. Ball and their children. After Mrs. Ball's death in 1957, the house remained unused until 1963, when it was leased to Ball State University.

In 1975 the Ball Brothers Foundation gave the property to the Ball State University Foundation for use by Ball State University as a continuing education facility. The gift included major renovation by the Ball Brothers Foundation, and in 1977 the house, then re-christened the Minnetrista Center for Nontraditional Adult Studies, opened its doors as an academic building.

In 1986 the facility was renamed the E. B. and Bertha C. Ball Center for University and Community Programs, and it is still serving the university and the public.

The mission of the E. B. and Bertha C. Ball Center is to provide stimulating intellectual opportunities for all persons in the Ball State University and East Central Indiana communities through programs, lectures, classes, seminars, workshops, etc., that are presented in an informal learning environment. By working cooperatively with other institutions in the university and community whenever possible, the E. B. and Bertha C. Ball Center is a symbol of the university's commitment to public service and creates a positive image of the university to the community.

Extent

1.8 Cubic Feet (6 Boxes)

Language of Materials

English

Arrangement

This collection is organized in the following series:

Series 1: E. B. and Bertha C. Ball Center publications

Series 2: E. B. and Bertha C. Ball Center records

Series 3: E. B. and Bertha C. Ball Center annual reports

Series 4: E. B. and Bertha C. Ball Center financial reports

Series 5: E. B. and Bertha C. Ball Center program reports

Series 6: E. B. and Bertha C. Ball Center scrapbooks

Series 7: Magna Cum Murder Crime Fiction Festival records

Custodial History

This collection was received by Archives and Special Collections as a records transfer.

Accruals

No additions expected.

Processing Information

Collection processing completed 2009/02/05 by Carolyn F. Runyon. EAD finding aid completed 2009/02/05 by Carolyn F. Runyon.
Title
E.B. and Bertha C. Ball Center Records
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
Undetermined
Script of description
Code for undetermined script

Repository Details

Part of the Ball State University Archives Repository

Contact:
Alexander M. Bracken Library
2000 W. University Avenue
Muncie Indiana 47306 USA
765-285-5078