Ball State University Office of Alumni Programs records
Scope and Contents
This collection includes publications and correspondences from Ball State University in Munice, Indiana ranging from 1918 to 1962 regarding the alumni association, alumni and veterans.
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Legal title, copyright, and literary rights reside with Ball State University, Muncie, IN. All requests to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted to Archives and Special Collections.
Ball State's Alumni Association was founded when the first class of the fledgling
normal school graduated in 1919. This group functioned until 1926 when a more
formal organization, with R. Nelson Snider, 1922, as its president, was established.
The Association evolved from its informal beginning to a dues-paying organization in
1939, to its current structure, which since 1954 has effectively incorporated an
annual alumni fund into its structure, replacing the dues-paying system.
The Alumni Association has been a national leader in its involvement with student campus leaders. With a strong history of Homecoming undergraduate participation, the Association has successfully sponsored homecomings to include an array of activities that annually involves over 400 student volunteers. In 1965, the Association sponsored the founding of the Ball State Student Foundation and in 1985 organized the Student Alumni Relations Team (St.A.R.T.).
To date, there have been 62 presidents serving the Association as well as five executive directors. Edwin D. Shipley, 1968, MA 1971, current executive director, has served since 1980, while Robert E. Linson, 1947 MA 1948, was in charge from 1955-1980.Other full-time executive directors served between 1947 and 1955 and included David Hartley, 1933; Leroy Hull, 1948; and Reese Williams, 1948.
0.5 Cubic Feet (2 Boxes)
Language of Materials
This collection is arranged chronologically.
This collection was received by Archives and Special Collections as a records transfer from the Ball State University Alumni Association.
No further additions are expected.
Collection processing completed 2009/10/15 by Abby Foltz. Finding aid created EAD finding aid created 2009/10/15 by Abby Foltz.
- Alumni and alumnae Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Muncie (Ind.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Printed ephemera Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Programs Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Publications Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Veterans Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Ball State University Office of Alumni Programs Records
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Ball State University Archives Repository
Alexander M. Bracken Library
2000 W. University Avenue
Muncie Indiana 47306 USA