Department of Geography and Geology records
Scope and Contents
This collection includes brochures, newspaper articles, planning documents, and publications from the Ball State Department of Geography and Geology dating from 1925 to 1981.
- 1923-1925, 1964-1981
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Ball State University Libraries make every reasonable effort to provide accurate information regarding the copyright status of materials held by Archives and Special Collections. Patrons may scan items or request a reproduction of one or more items in the collection; however, it is the responsibility of the patron to evaluate whether or not the intended use complies with copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Previously part of the Science Department, Geography and Geology became its own department shortly after Ball State Teachers College made the transition to Ball State University in 1965. The Department of Geography and Geology offered coursework for students to obtain majors or minors in Geography, Geology, and Earth Science. The department also operated the University Weather Station located in the Life Science Building. On October 1, 1981, Geology split from Geography, creating two separate departments: Department of Geology and Department of Geography. In 2018, the Department of Geology merged with several other programs on campus to become the Department of Environment, Geology, and Natural Resources. Geography currently remains its own department.
0.3 Cubic Feet (1 archival letter box)
Language of Materials
This collection is arranged chronologically.
Materials from RG.14.08.01 were pulled to create UA.029.
- Ball State University -- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Earth sciences Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Geography Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Geology Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Nature Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Department of Geography and Geology records
- Collection reprocessed by Mindy Shull.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Ball State University Archives Repository
Alexander M. Bracken Library
2000 W. University Avenue
Muncie Indiana 47306 USA