Department of Mathematical Sciences records
Scope and Contents
This collection includes brochures, newsletters, planning documents, and departmental records from The Department of Mathematical Sciences ranging from 1960 to 2005.
- Creation: 1960 - 2005
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Ball State University Libraries make every reasonable effort to provide accurate information regarding the copyright status of materials held by Archives and Special Collections. Patrons may scan items or request a reproduction of one or more items in the collection; however, it is the responsibility of the patron to evaluate whether or not the intended use complies with copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
The Department of Mathematics was one of the first departments established when the Indiana State Normal School, Eastern Division, opened in 1918. The first professor and head of the Department of Mathematics was James Harvey Baxter. During Ball State's time as a teachers college, the department focused heavily on mathematics education. The department has since expanded its offerings from mathematics and mathematics education to include statistics and actuarial science programs. In 1970, the department changed its name to the Department of Mathematical Sciences to reflect its broader focus.
0.5 Cubic Feet (1 archival letter box and 1 thin archival letter box)
Language of Materials
This collection is arranged into the following series:
Series 1: Administrative records Series 2: Conference and Institutes records Series 3: Printed ephemera Series 4: Publications
UA.044 was previously RG.14.11.01.
- Department of Mathematical Sciences records
- Collection reprocessed by Kylie Haslem and Mindy Shull.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Ball State University Archives Repository
Alexander M. Bracken Library
2000 W. University Avenue
Muncie Indiana 47306 USA