Women's and Gender Studies Program records
Scope and Contents
This collection contains the records of the Ball State University Women’s and Gender Studies Program ranging in date from 1970 to 2021. The collection includes ephemera, brochures, meeting minutes, newsletters, and video recordings pertaining to Women’s Week events, lectures, and Women’s Studies Program classes.
Portions of this collection have been digitized and made available on our Digital Media Repository. (Click the digital object link in the red box to access.)
- Majority of material found within 1970 - 2021
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Ball State University Libraries make every reasonable effort to provide accurate information regarding the copyright status of materials held by Archives and Special Collections. Patrons may scan items or request a reproduction of one or more items in the collection; however, it is the responsibility of the patron to evaluate whether or not the intended use complies with copyright law.
Ball State University offered its first Women's Studies Course, ID 210 Women's Studies, during the spring semester of 1972. The interdisciplinary course was taught by Betty Newcomb, Sharon Seager, and Marie Vogel. By 1974, other departments on campus began to create Women's Studies courses and a Women's Studies Committee had been informally established. The following year the committee was given official status and the mission to create a minor in Women's Studies. The minor was approved by the Ball State University Board of Trustees in 1980. In 2004, a major in Women's Studies was approved.
4.5 Cubic Feet (7 archival letter boxes, 2 thin archival letter box, 1 archival legal box, 1 record carton, and 1 small oversize archival box)
235 Megabytes (73 digital files)
Language of Materials
This collection is divided into the following series:
Series 1: Administrative records Series 2: Committee records Series 3: Curriculum Committee and course development Series 4: Program research Series 5: Events and promotional material Series 6: Publications
This collection was received by Archives and Special Collections as a records transfer.
EAD finding aid completed 2009-08-11 by L.Posey. Reprocessing completed 2020-08 by Sarah M. Allison. Additions added 2022-04 by Jerret Barker.
UA.032 was formerly RG.14.22.01.
- Documents Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Education Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Physical objects Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Publications Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Women Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Women's rights Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Women's and Gender Studies Program records
- Collection reprocessed by Sarah Allison, 2020. Additions added by Jerret Barker, 2022-04.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Ball State University Archives Repository
Alexander M. Bracken Library
2000 W. University Avenue
Muncie Indiana 47306 USA