Skip to main content

Department of Modern Languages and Classics records

 Collection — Box: 1
Identifier: UA-026

Scope and Contents

This collection includes brochures, planning documents, and a departmental history from the Ball State University Department of Modern Languages and Classics ranging from 1963 to 2015.

Dates

  • 1963 - 2015

Conditions Governing Access

This collection is open for research.

Biographical/Historical

The Modern Languages and Classics department was formerly known as the Department of Foreign Languages. The department opened in 1899 when Ball State University was known as the Eastern Indiana Normal Univeristy. This Eastern Indiana Normal University would later become Ball's Teacher's College in 1926 and eventually Ball State University in 1965. During the early years of the department only French and Latin were offered. Later in 1931, German and Spanish were added. Russian and Portuguese were also added, but both were dropped by 1979. Today the majors offered by the department are: French, German, Japanese, Spanish, and Classical Cultures. The languages offered for minors by the department are: Chinese, French, Ancient Greek, Latin, German, Japanese, and Spanish.

Extent

0.3 Cubic Feet (1 archival letter box)

Language of Materials

English

Arrangement

This collection is arranged chronologically.

UA Restructuring

RG.14.30.01 was combined with new materials to create UA.026.
Title
Department of Modern Languages and Classics
Status
Completed
Author
Collection reprocessed by Jordan Forbes.
Date
2020-02-24
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
Undetermined
Script of description
Code for undetermined script

Repository Details

Part of the Ball State University Archives Repository

Contact:
Alexander M. Bracken Library
2000 W. University Avenue
Muncie Indiana 47306 USA
765-285-5078