Burris Laboratory School records and publications
Scope and Contents
This collection includes work reports, publications, news clippings, scrapbooks, and other records from the Burris Laboratory School in Muncie, Indiana ranging from 1928 to 2001 regarding the administration of the school, student activities, and the function of the school as a part of Ball State University.
Language of Materials
Materials in English.
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Legal title, copyright, and literary rights reside with Archives and Special Collections, Ball State University Libraries, Muncie, IN. All requests to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted to Archives and Special Collections.
Burris Laboratory School was established in 1929 as a part of the Ball State University Teachers College, and the Muncie School system. The school was named for Dr. Benjamin Burris, Dean of the Teachers College at the time of the laboratory school's construction. In 1974, Burris Laboratory School left the Muncie Schools system and opened enrollment to the entire state of Indiana. In 1990, after the addition of the Indiana Academy of Science, Mathematics, and Humanities, Burris became a part of University Schools. After Burris and the Indiana Academy became separate corporations in 2004, Burris was the only remaining school in the Burris Laboratory School Corporation. As a part of Ball State University, Burris does not have a school board. Instead, the Ball State University Board of Trustees is the ultimate authority for school policies.
In 1993, the building in which Burris has been housed since its inception, underwent an 11.7 million dollar renovation. In addition to improving the appearance of the school, the renovation also included upgrades to the facilities including new computer labs, a distance-learning studio, and well-equipped science laboratories.
Burris Laboratory School is fully accredited by the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools, and by the State of Indiana. History note from http://cms.bsu.edu/Web/Burris/About.aspx
13 Cubic Feet (16 Boxes)
Arranged in the following series:
Series 1: Golden Age Survivor newsletters and other materials, 1990-2001
Series 2: Work reports, 1931-1975
Series 3: Summer work reports, 1935-1975
Series 4: Annual reports and other materials, 1936-1978
Series 5: Subject files and publications, 1929-1997
Subseries 5.1: Subject files and publications - part one, 1929-1987
Subseries 5.2: Subject files and publications - part two, 1929-1997
Series 6: News clippings, 1928-1997
Series 7: Scrapbooks, 1937-1958
EAD finding aid created 2012/04/11 by Lisa Barney.
- Burris Laboratory School records and publications
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Ball State University Archives Repository
Alexander M. Bracken Library
2000 W. University Avenue
Muncie Indiana 47306 USA