Ball State University Museum of Art publications and printed ephemera
Scope and Contents
This collection includes brochures, invitations, fliers, leaflets, calendars, exhibition catalogs, monographs, Gallery Notes, newsletters, postcards, and events schedules ranging from 1990 to 2009.
Includes the following monographs:
Joyaux, Alain G., Brian A. Moore, and Ned H. Griner. 1985. Childe Hassam in Indiana. Muncie, Indiana: Ball State University Art Gallery.
Joyaux, Alain G. 1985. Dennis Oppenheim: Accelerator for Evil Thoughts. Muncie, Indiana: Ball State University Art Gallery.
Huth, Nancy M., and Alain G. Joyauz. 1994. European and American Paintings and Sculpture: Selected Works. Muncie, Indiana: Ball State University Museum of Art.
Maloon, Terence. 2002. The Art of Charles Pollock: Sweet Reason. Muncie, Indiana: Ball State University Museum of Art.
- Creation: 1917 - 2011
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Legal title, copyright, and literary rights reside with Ball State University, Muncie, IN. All requests to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted to Archives and Special Collections.
In 1886, an economic boom sparked by the discovery of natural gas in Muncie, Indiana, attracted an array of residents to the area. Hoping to raise interest in art, a group of women formed the Art Students' League in 1892. After the success of multiple art exhibits, the group formed the Muncie Art Association in 1905. The group's objectives included organizing annual free exhibitions and purchasing one work of art each year to begin a permanent collection.
The works in the permanent collection were displayed in local high school corridors until 1918, when the Ball brothers founded the Indiana State Normal School. The collection found a new home at the school, which later became Ball State Teachers College and is now Ball State University. Eventually the collection was moved to the school's North Quadrangle Library.
In 1931, plans began for a new art building to house the expanding collection. The Fine Arts Building opened in 1935 and remains the home of the collection. In January 1991, the gallery's official name became the Ball State University Museum of Art.
Construction to expand the museum began in 2000. The $8.5 million project added 5,230 square feet to the facility, doubling the number of works of art displayed. The newly renovated museum opened in September 2002.
The museum's mission is the following:
The Ball State University Museum of Art cultivates lifelong learning and recreation in the visual arts through its collection of original works of art, engaging exhibitions, and educational programs for the university community and other diverse audiences.
1.3 Cubic Feet (4 archival letter boxes)
Language of Materials
This collection is organized in the following series:
Series 1: Museum of Art exhibition catalogs
Series 2: Museum of Art monographs
Series 3: Museum of Art printed ephemera
Series 4: Museum of Art articles and newsletters
This collection was received by Archives and Special Collections as a records transfer from the Ball State University Museum of Art.
Collection processing completed 2009/01/19 by Carolyn F. Runyon. Finding aid created 2009/01/19 by Carolyn F. Runyon. EAD finding aid completed 2009/01/19 by Carolyn F. Runyon. Collection reprocessed 2019/04/29 by Mindy Shull.
- Ball State University Museum of Art publications and printed ephemera
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Ball State University Archives Repository
Alexander M. Bracken Library
2000 W. University Avenue
Muncie Indiana 47306 USA