Home Management House scrapbooks
Scope and Contents
This collection includes scrapbooks from Department of Home Economics Home Management House in Muncie, Indiana ranging from 1930 to 1974 regarding the Home Management House.
- Creation: 1930-1974
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Legal title, copyright, and literary rights reside with Ball State University, Muncie, IN. All requests to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted to Archives and Special Collections.
In 1930, the Department of Home Economics, headed by Ms. Margaret Seberger, opened the Home Management House for seven advanced Home Economics female students enrolled at Ball State University (1965- ), then Ball State Teachers College (1929-1965). The first home management house was owned by Harry Howick, Ball State's Dean of Men and a professor of physics, and located at at 403 N. College Avenue and was rented by the department.
Over the course of several decades, the program grew, inhabiting more than 9 different residences over the course of its existence. The following locations served as homes for the Home Management Houses: 403 N. College Avenue, 407 N. College Avenue, 8 Warwick Road, Unit A and B 2100 Riverside Avenue, 1015 Cardinal Drive, Brady Hall, and houses of undisclosed locations named the Moore House and Brandt House.
The Home Management House students resided in the houses for an entire quarter, where they cooked, cleaned, adhered to a weekly budget, shopped for groceries, accounted for finances, participated in child-rearing, and entertained local and administrative guests. The women rotated their responsibilities weekly, allowing each student experience a variety of household duties. In addition to the students, each residence was home to an advisor. The purpose of the Home Management House program was to teach the women to excell in becoming home economists.
According to the Department of Home Economics newsletter, Home Economics News, the Home Management Housing program was phased out during the winter quarter of 1987. After that time a non-residence building, known as the Schermer House on the corner of Riverside Avenue and Warwick Road was used to house instructional and research programs for the department.
3.5 Cubic Feet (5 Boxes)
Language of Materials
This collection is arranged chronologically.
This collection was received by Archives and Special Collections as a donation from the Ball State University Department of Family and Consumer Sciences located in Muncie, Indiana on April 5, 2010.
No further additions are expected.
Collection processing completed 2010/04/07 by Abby Foltz. Finding aid created 2010/04/07 by Abby Foltz. EAD finding aid created 2010/04/07 by Abby Foltz.
- Home Management House Scrapbooks
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Ball State University Archives Repository
Alexander M. Bracken Library
2000 W. University Avenue
Muncie Indiana 47306 USA