Richard A. Greene papers
Scope and Contents
The collection includes all of Richard A. "Dick" Greene's "Our Neighborhood" newspaper articles, which appeared in the Muncie Star from 1945 to 1983. It also contains history files of items sent to Greene while he worked at the Muncie Star. Finally, there is a personal file with Greene's biographical information.
- 1837 - 1989
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Legal title, copyright, and literary rights reside with Archives and Special Collections, Ball State University Libraries, Muncie, IN. All requests to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted to Archives and Special Collections.
Newspaperman Richard A. "Dick" Greene left behind a legacy of over 10,000 columns and almost 3,000 photographs that documented Muncie, Indiana from the 1930s through the 1970s. His column, "Seen and Heard in Our Neighborhood" became a must read for everyone receiving the Muncie Star. In the first installment of the column, Greene made its purpose clear when he wrote: "It's to be about people-yes, maybe yourself, or your neighbor, or perhaps about the fellow who lives down the street, your street or my street, on the farm or in a neighboring town." For the next 39 years, he recorded the history of his Muncie by talking to and photographing the people of the "neighborhood."
Dick Greene was also a recognized local history authority, an avid traveler, and a friend to hundreds. He was a remarkable man who was proud to call Muncie his home.
Except from: Straw, John B., and Wiley W. Spurgeon. Dick Greene's neighborhood, Muncie, Indiana. St. Louis, MO: G. Bradley Pub., 2000.
18.2 Cubic Feet (40 boxes)
Language of Materials
This collection is arranged in the following series:
Series 1: Richard A. Greene history files, 1837-1983
Series 2: Richard A. Greene "Our Neighborhood" newspaper articles, 1945-1983
Series 3: Richard A. Greene personal files and correspondence, 1916-1989
Series 4: Richard A. Greene indexes, 1940s-1980s
Series 5: Richard A. Greene photographs, 1870-1970
Series 6: Richard A. Greene oversize materials, 1887-1966
This collection was received by Archives and Special Collections as a donation from Richard A. "Dick" Greene on 1979/08/16; from Mildred Greene on 1986/05/08, 1986/08/05, and 1988/09/29; from Bill Spurgeon on 1985/05/30, 1987/03/10, and 1988/12/09.
No further additions are expected.
EAD finding aid created 2012/10/01 by Julie Hausknecht. EAD finding aid revised 2012/11/04 by Bethany Fiechter.
- Delaware County (Ind.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Delaware County (Ind.) -- History -- 19th century -- Sources Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Delaware County (Ind.) -- History -- 20th century -- Sources Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Muncie (Ind.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Muncie (Ind.) -- History -- 19th century -- Sources Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Muncie (Ind.) -- History -- 20th century -- Sources Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Newspapers Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Stoeckel Archives of Local History Subject Source: Local sources
- Richard A. Greene papers
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Stoeckel Archives of Local History Repository
Alexander M. Bracken Library
2000 W. University Avenue
Muncie Indiana 47306 USA