Indian Reserves collection
Scope and Contents
This collection includes an article by Dolores M. Lahrman and Ross S. Johnson describing Indian landholdings in Delaware County and subsequent claims filed in regard to sale of those lands. It also provides an overview for the rest of the collection, which consists primarily of supporting documentation in the form of photocopies of records held at the National Archives and Records Administration in Washington, DC.
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Legal title, copyright, and literary rights reside with Archives and Special Collections, Ball State University Libraries, Muncie, IN. All requests to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted to Archives and Special Collections.
This collection contains information on Indian land claims in Delaware County based on the Treaty of St. Mary’s signed in 1818.
In 1973 Delores M. Lahrman donated materials on the land claims of Indian Samuel Cassman. Lahrman asked Ball State Archives and Special Collections librarian Ross C. Johnson to help her write an article on the land battle between Cassman and Goldsmith Gilbert, an early settler in Muncie.
After completing this project, Johnson wrote to the National Archives for information on other Indian land claims in Delaware County. He received photocopies of land records for Jacob Dick, Rebecca Hackley, Elizabeth Petchaka, Solomon and Benoni Tindall, and Isaac Wobby.
0.3 Cubic Feet (1 box)
Language of Materials
This collection is arranged in the following series:
Series 1: Indian Reserves publications, 1942-1975
Series 2: Bureau of Indiana Affairs records, 1826-1891
Series 3: Indian Reserves oversize materials, undated
This collection was received by Archives and Special Collections as a donation from Delores Lahrman in 1973. The Bureau of Indian Affairs records were copied from the National Archives and Records Administration in Washington, DC on 1974/03/18.
No further additions are expected.
Existence and Location of Originals
Original records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs are in the National Archives and Records Administration in Washington, DC.
Collection processing completed 1982/01/13 by David Tambo. Finding aid created 1982/01/13 by David Tambo. Finding aid revised 2007/04/27 by Maren L. Read. EAD finding aid completed 2009/09/18 by Maren L. Read. EAD finding aid revised 2012/11/17 by Bethany Fiechter.
- Delaware County (Ind.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Documents Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Indians of North America Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Muncie (Ind.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Muncie (Ind.) -- History -- 19th century -- Sources Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Muncie (Ind.) -- History -- 20th century -- Sources Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Stoeckel Archives of Local History Subject Source: Local sources
- Indian Reserves collection
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Stoeckel Archives of Local History Repository
Alexander M. Bracken Library
2000 W. University Avenue
Muncie Indiana 47306 USA