John W. Lewellen papers
Scope and Contents
This collection includes correspondence dealing with the disposition of property (1888-1917) and statements of accounts (1991-1920). The legal records (1845-1908) include disability and pension claims, abstract of title, warranty deeds, quit claim deeds, estate sales records, guardian's reports, and other miscellaneous documents. The miscellaneous documents folder includes a sales promotion scheme by the Alonzo O. Bliss Medical Company, involving the sale of native herbs and a list of turn-of-the-century riddles.
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Legal title, copyright, and literary rights reside with Archives and Special Collections, Ball State University Libraries, Muncie, IN. All requests to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted to Archives and Special Collections.
Papers of the Lewellen family, primarily the Rev. John W. and Minerva Lewellen, are found in this collection. Rev. Lewellen succeeded Rev. D. F. Stright as pastor of Mount Zion Methodist Episcopal Church, and in turn was succeeded by Rev. William H. Pierce.
0.4 Cubic Feet (1 box)
Language of Materials
This collection is arranged alphabetically.
No further additions are expected.
Collection processing completed 1979/03/09 by David Tambo. Finding aid created 1979/03/09 by David Tambo. Finding aid revised 1980/03/13 by David Tambo. Finding aid revised 1994/02/18 by M. Sears. Finding aid revised 1994/02/24 by J. Richards. Finding aid revised 2009/11/04 by Maren L. Read. EAD finding aid completed 2012/07/01 by Julie Hausknecht EAD finding aid revised 2012/08/27 by Bethany Fiechter.
- Church history Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Documents Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Family Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Financial records Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Legal documents Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Real property Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Stoeckel Archives of Local History Subject Source: Local sources
- John W. Lewellen papers
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Stoeckel Archives of Local History Repository
Alexander M. Bracken Library
2000 W. University Avenue
Muncie Indiana 47306 USA