George H. Koons papers
Scope and Contents
This collection includes personal and business correspondence, Muncie Board of Public Safety documents, a city ordinance regarding jitney busses, and miscellaneous material from George H. Koons in Muncie, Indiana ranging from 1904 to 1926 regarding his activities.
Language of Materials
Materials in English.
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Legal title, copyright, and literary rights reside with Archives and Special Collections, Ball State University Libraries, Muncie, IN. All requests to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted to Archives and Special Collections.
George H. Koons, Jr., was the son of George H. Koons and Josinah Hickman Koons. He was
born in Muncie on February 23, 1886. After graduating from Muncie High School in 1905,
Koons attended Indiana University for two years. His studies there prepared him for law school
at George Washington University, from which he graduated in 1909. He practiced law with his
father at 312 Wysor Street in Muncie. The elder Koons had previously served as judge of the
Delaware County Circuit Court (1892-98) and as president of the Muncie Bar Association
(1906-07). When he died in 1919, George, Jr., continued practicing law at the Wysor Street
Office. In 1922, he was elected president of the Muncie Bar Association.
George H. Koons, Jr., was a member of the Republican Party, the Kiwanis Club, and was affiliated with the college fraternities of Phi Gamma Delta and Phi Delta Phi. He married Miriam B. Sterner on January 15, 1910, and the couple had two children, George Sterner and Helene Bauman Koons.
The collection was present in the Delaware County archives at the time when a professional archivist was first hired to oversee the holdings there. It is not known when the collection was donated nor by whom. However, it seems likely that Koons` children donated the materials.
0.3 Cubic Feet (1 box)
This collection is arranged chronologically.
This collection was received by Archives and Special Collections as a donation.
Collection processing completed 1994/02/18 by M. Sears. EAD finding aid created 2011/10/11 by Ashley Poynter. EAD finding aid revised 2011/10/11 Bethany Fiechter.
- City planning Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Delaware County (Ind.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Delaware County (Ind.) -- History -- 20th century -- Sources Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Muncie (Ind.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Muncie (Ind.) -- History -- 20th century -- Sources Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Organizations Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Stoeckel Archives of Local History Subject Source: Local sources
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Stoeckel Archives of Local History Repository
Alexander M. Bracken Library
2000 W. University Avenue
Muncie Indiana 47306 USA