William A. Sutton papers
Scope and Contents
This collection includes documents, photographs, slides and an interview from William A. Sutton in Muncie ranging from 1913 to 1985 regarding Sutton's work with the local government, and in religious and secular community organizations.
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Legal title, copyright, and literary rights reside with Archives and Special Collections, Ball State University Libraries, Muncie, IN. All requests to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted to Archives and Special Collections.
William A. Sutton, English professor and Republican city councilman, was born in Cleveland, Ohio on December 2, 1915. His father, Leonard Sutton, emigrated from England in 1911.
In 1936, Sutton received his B.A. degree from Western Reserve University, and went on to earn his M.A. and Ph.D. degrees from Ohio State University in 1937 and 1943, respectively. Sutton taught English at Ohio State University, Muskingum College, and the University of Tennessee before joining the faculty of the Ball State University English department in 1947.
An active member of the First United Presbyterian Church, Sutton helped organize the Delaware County Council of United Church Men. He also was responsible for the formation of the Delaware County Safety Council, and served as president of the council for two years. In addition to these two organizations, Sutton was also a member of the Executive Committee of the Delaware Council of the Boy Scouts Association, member and president of the Muncie City Council, chairman of the Delaware County Republican Central Committee, and a precinct committeeman.
Dr. Sutton retired from Ball State University on November 24, 1980.
6.5 Cubic Feet (6 boxes, 1 folder, 1 audio cassette, and 1 binder)
Language of Materials
This collection is arranged in the following series and subseries:
Series 1: Sutton, William A. City Council documents, 1926-1975
Subseries 1.1: City Council agendas and minutes, 1960-1967
Subseries 1.2: Committees documents, 1926-1975
Subseries 1.3: City Council miscellaneous documents, 1959-1967
Series 2: Sutton, William A. subject files, 1929-1979
Series 3: Sutton, William A. Indiana Municipal League documents, 1950-1968
Series 4: Sutton, William A. Metropolitan Planning Commission documents, 1963-1985
Series 5: Sutton, William A. Republican Party documents, 1956-1974
Series 6: Sutton, William A. photographs, circa 1913-1985
Series 6: Sutton, William A. slides, 1926-1979
Series 6: Sutton, William A. interview, 1980/05/27
This collection was received by Archives and Special Collections as a gift from Dr. William Sutton in several donations from 1979 to 1980, and in 2007.
Collection processing completed 1984/02/16 by R. Cumberbatch and D. Tambo. Finding aid revised 2007/03. EAD finding aid created 2012/03/22 by Lisa Barney. EAD finding aid revised 2012/04/03 by Bethany Fiechter.
- Committees Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Delaware County (Ind.) -- History -- 20th century -- Sources Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Delaware County (Ind.) -- Politics and government -- 20th century -- Sources Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Documents Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Local government Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Maps Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Muncie (Ind.) -- History -- 20th century -- Sources Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Photographs Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Slides (Photography) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Stoeckel Archives of Local History Subject Source: Local sources
- William A. Sutton papers
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Stoeckel Archives of Local History Repository
Alexander M. Bracken Library
2000 W. University Avenue
Muncie Indiana 47306 USA