Caldwell, High, and Meeker families papers
Scope and Contents
The Caldwell, Meeker, and High families papers includes correspondence from the Caldwell, Meeker, and High families. The collection is divided into series by family. The Caldwell family papers includes correspondence and documents concerning family and business affairs (1857-1928). The High family papers includes correspondence between Ansen High and his wife Mary during the Civil War (1862). The Meeker family papers includes correspondence from Minor Meeker (1836-1885).
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Legal title, copyright, and literary rights reside with Archives and Special Collections, Ball State University Libraries, Muncie, IN. All requests to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted to Archives and Special Collections.
Benjamin F. Caldwell was a pioneer Indiana teacher. His son David Caldwell bought and sold farm animals and also did some real estate speculation. The letters in this collection concern the families' everyday affairs, including the buying and selling of animals and the borrowing of money for seasonal farm expenses and real estate speculation.
Minor Meeker (1795-1865) was a prominent early settler in Indiana. Meeker migrated to Indiana in 1819 and worked as a tanner for Mr. Rees in Connersville. He married Rachel Thomas in 1820 and they had two children. He purchased eighty acres in Harrison Township and lived the rest of his life as a farmer and tanner. Meeker was active in the pork trade and was the Director of the Old Canal Co. He served three terms in the State Legislature and two terms in the Senate.
Ansen High served in the Civil War. The collection includes correspondence with his wife Mary. The letters discuss High's anticipation of the end of the war, the poor quality of the food, and other financial and personal affairs.
0.3 Cubic Feet (1 box)
Language of Materials
Arranged in the following series:
Series 1: Caldwell family correspondence and papers, 1857-1928
Series 2: High family correspondence, 1862
Series 3: Meeker family correspondence, 1836-1885
This collection was received by Archives and Special Collections as a donation from Glen Tyler on 1964/12/14. Additional materials were received from James W. Brown on 2009/06/02.
No further additions are expected.
Collection processing completed 1994/02/18 by M. Sears. Finding aid created 1994/02/18 by M. Sears. Finding aid revised 2009/06/23 by Bridget K. Hahn. EAD finding aid created 2009/06/23 by Bridget K. Hahn. The title of the collection was changed from Glen Tyler Collection to Caldwell, High, and Meeker families papers 2009/07/08 by Maren L. Read. EAD finding aid modified 2013/10/28 by Rebecca Marangelli.
- Correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Delaware County (Ind.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Documents Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Family Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Family -- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Genealogy Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Indiana Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Stoeckel Archives of Local History Subject Source: Local sources
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Caldwell, High, and Meeker families papers
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Stoeckel Archives of Local History Repository
Alexander M. Bracken Library
2000 W. University Avenue
Muncie Indiana 47306 USA