Skip to main content

Herbert L. Garrard papers and photographs

Identifier: MSS-073

Scope and Contents

The collection contains brochures, programs, postcards, and publications from 1879 to 1955. Included among these are commencement programs for Muncie and Royerton High Schools, Royerton High School play programs, the Hamilton Township area, a brochure for the Farmers' Institute (1894), a funeral notice, and a copy of the book entitled, Through the Years: A History of Gaston.

P.023 contains photographs of the Garrard family, Garrard School, which operated from 1859-1918, and scenes of rural life in Delaware County around the turn of the century.


  • Creation: 1879-1955

Conditions Governing Access

This collection is open for research.

Conditions Governing Use

Legal title, copyright, and literary rights reside with Archives and Special Collections, Ball State University Libraries, Muncie, IN. All requests to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted to Archives and Special Collections.

Biographical Note

Herbert L. Garrard was born August 21, 1900 on the Hiram Bowen farm, Harrison Township, Delaware County, the son of Hiram Otway and Emma McCormick Garrard. He became an agronomist in Homewood, Illinois, although at the time that he and his wife, Mary Margaret donated these materials to the Archives, they were living in Noblesville, Indiana. Since the Garrards did not reside in Delaware County, it is assumed that the materials in the collection were historical materials gathered by Mr. Garrard's father, Hiram Otley Garrard, a well-known Delaware County farmer and professional photographer. There is documentation that the accompanying photograph collection was actually the work of H.O. Garrard.

Hiram Otley Garrard was born in a log cabin on Johnson Road, 7 miles northwest of Muncie, the son of Samuel and Helen M. Garrard. The original owner of the farm was Joseph Garrard who made his entry of 320 acres in 1836 or 1837, qualifying as one of the pioneers of Delaware County. Upon Joseph's death in 1871, the farm was bequeathed to his son Samuel, a veteran of the Civil War. Samuel died that same year at age 31 and his wife, Helen gave the farm in equal shares to Hiram and his sister, Effie Garrard Lacy. Mrs. Lacy's share passed to her daughter, Geneva Crossfield and Mr. Garrard's share passed to Herbert L. Garrard in 1958. The farm is located at the intersections of Roads 700N and 200W in Harrison Township.

H. O. Garrard, who married Emma Jane McCormick, November 1, 1899, left the farm as a young man and began working for A. G. Arrasmith, a professional photographer who specialized in family groups and interiors and operated a studio from the 1880s to about 1910 at 323 1/2 S. Walnut, later moving to 121 N. High St. Mr. Garrard left Arrasmith to form a partnership in Elwood with Elmer Ratcliff. One summer the two men followed the fairs as tintype photographers, but Mr. Garrard, in an interview years later with newspaper columnist Dick Greene, remarked that one summer was enough of that activity.

Because his widowed mother needed a man to help with the farm, Garrard gave up the photography business and returned to farming, where he lived until his death in July, 1958. H. O. Garrard continued to use his camera as a hobby, taking photos of family members and work around the farm.


0.3 Cubic Feet (1 box)

Language of Materials



This collection is arranged in the following series:

Series 1: Herbet L. Garrard documents, 1879-1955

Series 2: Herbet L. Garrard photographs, circa 1879-1955

Custodial History

This collection was received by Archives and Special Collections as a donation.


No further additions are expected.

Processing Information

EAD finding aid created 2012/10/02 by Julie Hausknecht. EAD finding aid revised 2012/10/30 by Bethany Fiechter. EAD finding aid revised 2016/03/29 by Lindsey M. Vesperry.

Herbert L. Garrard papers and photographs
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
Script of description
Code for undetermined script

Repository Details

Part of the Stoeckel Archives of Local History Repository

Alexander M. Bracken Library
2000 W. University Avenue
Muncie Indiana 47306 USA