Herbert L. Garrard papers and photographs
Scope and Contents
The collection contains brochures, programs, postcards, and publications from 1879 to 1955. Included among these are commencement programs for Muncie and Royerton High Schools, Royerton High School play programs, the Hamilton Township area, a brochure for the Farmers' Institute (1894), a funeral notice, and a copy of the book entitled, Through the Years: A History of Gaston.
P.023 contains photographs of the Garrard family, Garrard School, which operated from 1859-1918, and scenes of rural life in Delaware County around the turn of the century.
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Legal title, copyright, and literary rights reside with Archives and Special Collections, Ball State University Libraries, Muncie, IN. All requests to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted to Archives and Special Collections.
Herbert L. Garrard was born August 21, 1900 on the Hiram Bowen farm, Harrison Township, Delaware County, the son of Hiram Otway and Emma McCormick Garrard. He became an agronomist in Homewood, Illinois, although at the time that he and his wife, Mary Margaret donated these materials to the Archives, they were living in Noblesville, Indiana. Since the Garrards did not reside in Delaware County, it is assumed that the materials in the collection were historical materials gathered by Mr. Garrard's father, Hiram Otley Garrard, a well-known Delaware County farmer and professional photographer. There is documentation that the accompanying photograph collection was actually the work of H.O. Garrard.
Hiram Otley Garrard was born in a log cabin on Johnson Road, 7 miles northwest of Muncie, the son of Samuel and Helen M. Garrard. The original owner of the farm was Joseph Garrard who made his entry of 320 acres in 1836 or 1837, qualifying as one of the pioneers of Delaware County. Upon Joseph's death in 1871, the farm was bequeathed to his son Samuel, a veteran of the Civil War. Samuel died that same year at age 31 and his wife, Helen gave the farm in equal shares to Hiram and his sister, Effie Garrard Lacy. Mrs. Lacy's share passed to her daughter, Geneva Crossfield and Mr. Garrard's share passed to Herbert L. Garrard in 1958. The farm is located at the intersections of Roads 700N and 200W in Harrison Township.
H. O. Garrard, who married Emma Jane McCormick, November 1, 1899, left the farm as a young man and began working for A. G. Arrasmith, a professional photographer who specialized in family groups and interiors and operated a studio from the 1880s to about 1910 at 323 1/2 S. Walnut, later moving to 121 N. High St. Mr. Garrard left Arrasmith to form a partnership in Elwood with Elmer Ratcliff. One summer the two men followed the fairs as tintype photographers, but Mr. Garrard, in an interview years later with newspaper columnist Dick Greene, remarked that one summer was enough of that activity.
Because his widowed mother needed a man to help with the farm, Garrard gave up the photography business and returned to farming, where he lived until his death in July, 1958. H. O. Garrard continued to use his camera as a hobby, taking photos of family members and work around the farm.
0.3 Cubic Feet (1 box)
Language of Materials
This collection is arranged in the following series:
Series 1: Herbet L. Garrard documents, 1879-1955
Series 2: Herbet L. Garrard photographs, circa 1879-1955
This collection was received by Archives and Special Collections as a donation.
No further additions are expected.
EAD finding aid created 2012/10/02 by Julie Hausknecht. EAD finding aid revised 2012/10/30 by Bethany Fiechter. EAD finding aid revised 2016/03/29 by Lindsey M. Vesperry.
- Brochures Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Commencement Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Dedications Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Delaware County (Ind.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Documents Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Family Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Glass negatives Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Hamilton County (Ind.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Muncie (Ind.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Photographs Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Postcards Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Programs Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Royerton (Ind.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Stoeckel Archives of Local History Subject Source: Local sources
- Herbert L. Garrard papers and photographs
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Stoeckel Archives of Local History Repository
Alexander M. Bracken Library
2000 W. University Avenue
Muncie Indiana 47306 USA