Violet Club records
Scope and Contents
The collection has letters, minutes of meetings, 1919 to 1968, newspaper clippings, and scrapbooks, 1951-1974.
A separate series, PSC 86, has 39 pictures of Violet Club members.
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Legal title, copyright, and literary rights reside with Archives and Special Collections, Ball State University Libraries, Muncie, IN. All requests to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted to Archives and Special Collections.
The Violet Club was a high school sorority formed in Muncie in 1915. It sponsored dances, Mistletoe balls, teas, and annual trips to Chicago. Two major philanthropic projects the club undertook were adopting a Korean War orphan in 1954 and making scrapbooks for children at Ball Memorial Hospital. During the 1970s the club apparently disbanded.
1.4 Cubic Feet (4 boxes)
Language of Materials
This collection is arranged in the following series:
Series 1: Violet Club meeting minutes, 1919-1968
Series 2: Violet Club scrapbooks and other documents, 1951-1974
Series 3: Violet Club photographs, undated
This collection was received by Archives and Special Collections as a donation by Rita Winters in 1985.
No further additions are expected.
Collection processing completed 1986/12/10 by M. L. Gentis. Collection processing completed 1992/04/19 by Jo. Glynn. EAD finding aid created 2012/10/02 by Julie Hausknecht. EAD finding aid modified 2013/10/28 by Rebecca Marangelli.
- Clubs Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Clubwomen Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Delaware County (Ind.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Meetings Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Muncie (Ind.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Photographs Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Scrapbooks Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Stoeckel Archives of Local History Subject Source: Local sources
- Women -- Societies and clubs Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Violet Club records
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Stoeckel Archives of Local History Repository
Alexander M. Bracken Library
2000 W. University Avenue
Muncie Indiana 47306 USA