Thomas L. Ryan diary, 1886
Scope and Contents
This collection includes a photocopy of the diary written by Thomas Ryan in 1886. Ryan wrote in the diary every day. He recorded the weather, events at school, activities with friends, trips to the library and around town, chores and projects, and special events. The diary also contains an account of his expenses for the year.
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Legal title, copyright, and literary rights reside with Archives and Special Collections, Ball State University Libraries, Muncie, IN. All requests to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted to Archives and Special Collections.
Thomas (“Tom”) L. Ryan was born in 1872 in Muncie, Indiana. He was the son of John W. and Lida Jenkins Ryan and brother of Susan Ryan Marsh. After finishing his education in Muncie, Ryan completed a course in engineering at the Hoboken Institute of Technology and studied law under his father. He joined his father’s law firm, which became Ryan & Ryan, in 1898. He worked as a consulting engineer and patent attorney. He was also president of the Highlands Manufacturing Company of Muncie. He married Lenora Highlands of Clinton, Iowa, and the couple had three children.
0.2 Cubic Feet (1 box)
Language of Materials
This collection is arranged by subject.
The Thomas L. Ryan Diary was received by Archives and Special Collections as a donation from Ned Griner on 2005/07/22. The original diary was obtained by Ned Griner from Fannie Marsh. Griner photocopied the diary and returned the original. The original diary has been lost.
No additions are expected.
Collection processing completed 2005/11 by Jane E. Gastineau. Collection processing reviewed 2008/12/30 by Maren L. Read. Finding aid created 2005/11 by Jane E. Gastineau. EAD finding aid completed 2012/09/17 by Bethany Fiechter. EAD finding aid modified 2013/10/28 by Rebecca Marangelli.
- Children Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Delaware County (Ind.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Diaries Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Local history Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Muncie (Ind.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Muncie (Ind.) -- History -- 19th century -- Sources Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Stoeckel Archives of Local History Subject Source: Local sources
- Thomas L. Ryan diary
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Stoeckel Archives of Local History Repository
Alexander M. Bracken Library
2000 W. University Avenue
Muncie Indiana 47306 USA