National Organization for Women, Muncie Chapter records
Scope and Contents
This collection includes organizational records and scrapbooks from the National Organization for Women in Muncie, Indiana ranging from 1970 to 1990 regarding the organization`s members and activities.
Language of Materials
Materials entirely in English.
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Legal title, copyright, and literary rights reside with Archives and Special Collections, Ball State University Libraries, Muncie, IN. All requests to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted to Archives and Special Collections.
The Muncie-Delaware County Chapter of the National Organization for Women (NOW) was the first chartered in Indiana. It was organized in 1970 by Betty Newcomb and Virginia Jackson-Adams. NOW’s purpose is, "to take action to bring women into full participation in the mainstream of American society, NOW, exercising all the privileges and responsibilities thereof in truly equal partnership with men." The Muncie-Delaware County Chapter campaigned actively for passage of the Equal Rights Amendment and championed a variety of local and national women's issues.
2 Cubic Feet (2 boxes)
This collection is arranged in the following series:
Series 1: Organizational records, 1972-1990
Series 2: Scrapbooks, 1970-1979
This collection was received by Archives and Special Collections as a donation from Sarah Groves, for Muncie-Delaware County National Organization for Women on 1990/10/26 and Cynthia DeHart on 1993/06/15.
No further additions are expected.
Collection processing completed 1994/04/25 by M. Sears. Finding aid revised 1994/04/07 by J. Richards. FInding aid revised 2006/11/01 by Jane E. Gastineau. EAD finding aid created 2011/05/02 by Bethany Fiechter.
- Delaware County (Ind.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Delaware County (Ind.) -- History -- 20th century -- Sources Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Documents Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Muncie (Ind.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Muncie (Ind.) -- History -- 20th century -- Sources Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Scrapbooks Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Stoeckel Archives of Local History Subject Source: Local sources
- Women's rights Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Stoeckel Archives of Local History Repository
Alexander M. Bracken Library
2000 W. University Avenue
Muncie Indiana 47306 USA