William H. Williams papers
Scope and Contents
The collection primarily consists of letters to William H. Williams (1921-1928). It also contains Williams' obituary, notifications of appointment to the Railway Mail Service (1902), a notice of eligibility to the U.S. Civil Service Commission (1902), and a program from the Annual Reunion of the 19th Indiana Volunteers (1921).
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Legal title, copyright, and literary rights reside with Archives and Special Collections, Ball State University Libraries, Muncie, IN. All requests to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted to Archives and Special Collections.
William H. Williams, known as Billy, was the chairman of the Delaware County Republican Party and Muncie Postmaster and was widely known throughout Eastern Indiana.
Williams was born on a farm in Liberty Township, Indiana, the son of William Henry and Joann (Fielder) Williams and a member of one of the oldest pioneer families in Eastern Indiana. In 1892, he married Miss Susie Black; together they had one son, Claude Williams, and two daughters, Harriett Scott, and Joanna Williams before her death in 1897.
Williams led a very active business and professional life. He taught school from 1892-1899, working at the Freideline, Mud Valley, Graham, Smithfield and Salem Schools. While working as a teacher, he passed the examination to become a railway mail clerk, but did not pursue a position as a clerk. He owned and operated several businesses in Selma, including a hardware store and drug store, and managed a grain elevator and coal yard. Mr. Williams worked as a telegraph operator for the Big Four Railroad and became a lawyer, although he did not have a regular law practice. For several years he also operated a loan company in Terre Haute for Muncie banker Oliver W. Storer.
“Billy” Williams was also active in politics. He served as chairman of the Delaware County Republican organization for many years, campaigning for local, state and national candidates. He also served as deputy prosecutor of Delaware County and was elected to two terms as Liberty Township Trustee beginning in 1915. From 1918 until 1926 he was superintendent of the Delaware County Infirmary. President Calvin Coolidge appointed Mr. Williams as Muncie Postmaster in 1924. He was reappointed by Herbert Hoover and served as postmaster until June 1, 1932.
Following his retirement, he returned to Selma, where he opened the Selma Food Market. He died in 1937 and is buried in the White Cemetery in Selma, Indiana.
0.2 Cubic Feet (1 box)
Language of Materials
This collection is arranged chronologically.
This collection was received by Archives and Special Collections as a donation.
No further additions are expected.
Collection processing completed 1994/04 by J. Richards and M. Sears. Collection processing revised 2007/07 by M. Read. EAD finding aid created 2012/10/05 by Julie Hausknecht. EAD finding aid revised 2013/01/22 by Bethany Fiechter and 2014/06/18 by Brandon Pieczko.
- Correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Delaware County (Ind.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Documents Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Muncie (Ind.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Postal service Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Selma (Ind.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Stoeckel Archives of Local History Subject Source: Local sources
- William H. Williams papers
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Stoeckel Archives of Local History Repository
Alexander M. Bracken Library
2000 W. University Avenue
Muncie Indiana 47306 USA