Visiting Nurses Association records
Scope and Contents
The collection consists primarily of meeting minutes and reports (1916-1993). It also contains memorials, manuals with a history and by-laws.
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Legal title, copyright, and literary rights reside with Archives and Special Collections, Ball State University Libraries, Muncie, IN. All requests to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted to Archives and Special Collections.
The idea for the Visiting Nurse Association grew out of a 1913 Federated Club of Clubs Project entitled “Baby Week.” The Federate Club of Clubs consisted of representatives from every woman’s organization in the county. It was through this Federation that the Visiting Nurse Association, a volunteer organization, was officially created in 1916 “for the benefit and assistance of those otherwise unable to secure skilled assistance in times of illness; to promote cleanliness and prevent sickness by the teaching of hygiene, sanitation and the science of domestic management.” Service began in September 1916 with one nurse, for whom desk space was provided in a corner of the Arcade Drug Store at a rental of $5.00 a month. Within the first month it was necessary to employ an assistant nurse, since the records showed that 223 visits were made to 66 patients. The next three years were periods of branching out to meet community needs in school nursing, industrial nursing, child clinics, and mothers’ conferences. In 1919 an endowment-memorial fund was started and in 1921 the City of Muncie began contributing a monthly sum toward the support of the organization.
The Association became involved in such projects as supervision of summer playgrounds, first aid kits, park clinics, a survey of handicapped children, tuberculosis fieldwork, health supervision of day nurseries, a milk fund for undernourished children and commitment of crippled children to Riley Hospital.
The service was reorganized in 1935 with the purpose of engaging in public health nursing; providing skilled nursing care for the sick in their homes on a part time basis; promoting health and cleanliness of the individual, family and community; and teaching principles of health, hygiene and sanitation to individuals, families and communities. It was reorganized again in 1986 as BMH Homecare Services, Inc., still providing the same types of services to the Muncie Community.
7.3 Cubic Feet (8 boxes)
Language of Materials
This collection is arranged in the following series and subseries:
Series 1: Visiting Nurses Association administration documents, 1916-1993
Series 2: Visiting Nurses Association financial records, 1916-1995
Series 3: Visiting Nurses Association meeting minutes and other reports, 1916-1993
Subseries 3.1: Board meeting minutes, 1950-1993
Subseries 3.2: Committee meeting minutes, 1976, 1984-1993
Subseries 3.3: Meeting minutes, 1916-1984
Series 4: Visiting Nurses Association publications and related organizations programs, 1916-1988
Series 5: Visiting Nurses Association oversize materials, 1936-1980
This collection was received by Archives and Special Collections as a donation by Bev Wilson 1992/01/24.
No further additions are expected.
Collection processing completed 1994/04/25 by M. Sears. Collection processing updated 2006/06 by J. Gastineau. EAD finding aid created 2012/10/05 by Julie Hausknecht. EAD finding aid modified 2013/10/28 by Rebecca Marangelli.
- Delaware County (Ind.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Documents Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Muncie (Ind.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Nursing Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Organizations Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Stoeckel Archives of Local History Subject Source: Local sources
- Visiting Nurses Association records
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Stoeckel Archives of Local History Repository
Alexander M. Bracken Library
2000 W. University Avenue
Muncie Indiana 47306 USA