Ryan-Stradling-Shirey-Puntenney-Tuhey families papers
Scope and Contents
The collection of family history contains newspaper clippings, funeral notices, a Ryan family publication, a genealogy of the Stradling family, correspondence, and photographs. Most notably, this collection contains the Civil War letters of John D. Stradling, and the personal papers of J. C. Ryan documenting Muncie businesses and relief work in Trebizond, Turkey.
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Legal title, copyright, and literary rights reside with Archives and Special Collections, Ball State University Libraries, Muncie, IN. All requests to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted to Archives and Special Collections.
Biographical Note / Historical Note / Administrative History
The Ryan-Stradling-Shirey-Puntenney-Tuhey families were prominent families in Delaware County Indiana. This collection pertains mostly to the William Stradling family and to the J. C. Ryan family.
William Stradling was born on March 27, 1811 in Doylestown, Bucks County, Pennsylvania. He married Jane Michener on February 19, 1835 in Doylestown, Bucks County, Pennsylvania. The couple had several children including Mary Elizabeth Stradling, John Daniel Stradling, Isabella Hayes Stradling, Thomas Jefferson Stradling, and Dewitt Clinton Stradling. William Stradling died on March 10, 1900 in Muncie, Delaware County, Indiana. His son, John Daniel Stradling, served as a private in Company B, 36th Indiana Infantry Regiment during the Civil War. He died of disease on September 4, 1863 during the siege of Vicksburg, Mississippi.
Jesse Clyde Ryan was born to Charles Hammond Ryan and Nettie Inez Lockwood in Muscatine County, Iowa on October 25, 1899. Ryan attended Oberlin Academy, Oberlin College, and Cornell College from which he graduated in 1915. He married Julia Winogene Shirey, daughter of Luther Shirey and Julia Stradling Shirey, in Muncie, Indiana on August 23, 1916. Ryan was the principal of Redwood Falls High School in Redwood Falls, Minnesota before he went to Trebizond, Turkey to work as a relief worker after World War I, primarily distributing flour to local Trebizond bakers. After returning from Turkey, Ryan worked in Muncie with such industries as Muncie Wheel Works and Ball Brothers, Inc. He left both Ball Brothers, Inc. and Muncie in 1943. He also owned part of the Dugger-Vanzant Packing Company, and had shares in several other local companies. Ryan lived and worked for a while in Madison, Wisconsin as the vice-President of Ray-O-Vac Company, before retiring to Tucson, Arizona in 1958.
0.6 Cubic Feet (3 boxes, 1 oversize box)
Language of Materials
This collection is arranged in the following series:
Series 1: Ryan-Stradling-Shirey-Puntenney-Tuhey families papers
Series 2: Ryan-Stradling-Shirey-Puntenney-Tuhey families oversize collection
Series 3: Ryan-Stradling-Shirey-Puntenney-Tuhey families photographs
This collection was received by Archives and Special Collections as a donation from James and Sally Ryan on 1992/06/26.
No further additions are expected.
Existence and Location of Copies
Digital reproductions of materials from this collection are available electronically in the Ball State University Libraries Digital Media Repository:
Collection processing completed 1994/02/18 by M. Sears. Revised 1997/01/21 by D. Browne. EAD finding aid created 2009/06/30 by M. Read. EAD finding aid revised 2012/08/06 by Bethany Fiechter. EAD finding aid revised 2013/09/11 by Leslie Nellis and 2014/06/25 by Brandon Pieczko
- Clippings Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Delaware County (Ind.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Delaware County (Ind.) -- History -- 19th century -- Sources Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Delaware County (Ind.) -- History -- 20th century -- Sources Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Documents Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Family -- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Muncie (Ind.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Muncie (Ind.) -- History -- 19th century -- Sources Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Muncie (Ind.) -- History -- 20th century -- Sources Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Stoeckel Archives of Local History Subject Source: Local sources
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Ryan-Stradling-Shirey-Puntenney-Tuhey families papers
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Stoeckel Archives of Local History Repository
Alexander M. Bracken Library
2000 W. University Avenue
Muncie Indiana 47306 USA