Muncie Art Association records
Scope and Contents
The collection contains correspondence, meeting agendas, lists of board members, board minutes, treasurer's report, committee records, exhibition programs, and other records of the Muncie Art Association ranging from 1907 through 1976.
- Creation: 1907-1976
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Legal title, copyright, and literary rights reside with Archives and Special Collections, Ball State University Libraries, Muncie, IN. All requests to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted to Archives and Special Collections.
The Muncie Art Association is an outgrowth of the Muncie Art Students League. The League, which was formed in 1892 for the promotion of art appreciation in the community gave yearly exhibits of the work of its members. The exhibits were held in the Commercial Club Rooms on Main Street. In 1906, realizing that the yearly expositions were beyond the managerial capabilities of the League, the organization directed its efforts towards the establishment of the Muncie Art Association. The first board of directors of the organization, were George F. McCulloch, George A. Ball, Harriet M. Johnston, George L. Roberts, Frank C. Ball, Belle Thomas, Ernest P. Wiles, Sarah Kessler and Susan R. Marsh.
The Muncie Art Association used their membership funds to purchase at least one painting each year, with the goal of building of a permanent collection. Edmund B. Ball was first chairman of the permanent art museum committee.
During WWI the Art Association became inactive. The use of the exhibit rooms was discontinued and for a while, the collection of paintings was hung in the Muncie Public Library. After the war, the group was offered 2 rooms on the 2nd floor of the Ball State library. Upon completion of the Museum of Art in 1935, the Art Association Collection was transferred to that facility.
0.2 Cubic Feet (1 box)
Language of Materials
This collection is arranged by subject.
This collection was received by Archives and Special Collections as a donation by Andy Seager on 1992/08/03.
No further additions are expected.
Collection processing completed 1994/04/07 by J. Richards. EAD finding aid created 2012/10/05 by Julie Hausknecht. EAD finding aid revised 2012/11/02 by Bethany Fiechter.
- Muncie Art Association records
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Stoeckel Archives of Local History Repository
Alexander M. Bracken Library
2000 W. University Avenue
Muncie Indiana 47306 USA