Ball Memorial Hospital records
Scope and Contents
This collection includes publications and newsletters produced by Ball Memorial Hospital. The collection also includes a 1933 annual report and a transcript of the 50th anniversary celebration program.
- Creation: 1933 - 2000
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Legal title, copyright, and literary rights reside with Archives and Special Collections, Ball State University Libraries, Muncie, IN. All requests to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted to Archives and Special Collections.
Presented as a gift to the city of Muncie by the Ball Brothers, Ball Memorial Hospital (BMH) began operation on August 8, 1929. The hospital replaced the 60-bed Muncie Home Hospital, which was located at 1128 S. Mulberry Street and was unable to serve the city’s increasing healthcare demands. BMH opened with a 160-bed capacity, and in its first year of operation, admitted 2,302 patients. In addition, 215 babies were delivered at the hospital that same year.
The hospital quickly grew in the years immediately following its opening. In 1930, Maria Bingham Hall was completed providing facilities for student nurses. By 1937, the hospital’s capacity had expanded to 224 beds. Following an intensive fundraising campaign, BMH was expanded to 450 beds in 1957. However, hospital demands grew at such a rate that by 1963, another fundraiser campaign was launched, resulting in the construction of a five story, 196-bed East Wing. In 1979, work was completed on a ten-story tower with an additional 320 beds, bringing the total number of beds to over 600. BMH completed a $19 million construction project that included a new outpatient medical pavilion, parking garage, driveway, main entrance and lobby. BMH remains as East Central Indiana’s largest and most comprehensive medical facility and serves as Delaware County’s second largest employer.
0.2 Cubic Feet (1 box)
Language of Materials
This collection is arranged by subject.
This collection was received by Archives and Special Collections as a donation from Edna Hayworth in 1985/07/30.
No further additions are expected.
Finding aid created 1991/04/17 by K. Dean. Finding aid revised 2001/12. EAD finding aid completed 2009/10/02 by Maren L. Read. EAD finding aid revised 2013/07/31 by Leslie Nellis.
- Ball Memorial Hospital records
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Stoeckel Archives of Local History Repository
Alexander M. Bracken Library
2000 W. University Avenue
Muncie Indiana 47306 USA