Osborn and Bussell families papers
Scope and Contents
This collection includes correspondence, newspaper clippings, teacher's contracts, financial records, photographs, and other records for the Osborn and Bussell families of Muncie, Indiana ranging from 1922-1992.
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Legal title, copyright, and literary rights reside with Archives and Special Collections, Ball State University Libraries, Muncie, IN. All requests to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted to Archives and Special Collections.
Lyell L. Bussell attended Wilkinson High School, Ball State University, and Indiana University. In 1923, he began teaching in Southport, and moved to Muncie in 1927 to teach at Lincoln School. He became the principal of Forest Park School in 1942, but moved to Riley School in 1943. In 1944, he became principal at Stevenson School. Bussell was a member of Willow Branch Methodist Church, the Association of Childhood Education, the Muncie Teachers Association, as well as state and national teachers association, and Phi Delta Kappa. He died in 1963.
Caroldine Osborn Bussell was born on March 7, 1905 in Amo, Indiana, and lived there until graduating high school in 1924. She then completed a two year teaching course at Central Normal College in Danville, and later attended Madame Blaker's Teachers College in Indianapolis. In 1937, she earned a bachelor's degree from Butler University. She held teaching positions in Amo, Plainfield, and Indianapolis. In 1941 she came to Muncie and married Lyell Bussell. She retired in 1967 after teaching first grade at Roosevelt Elementary School for twenty-five years. Caroldine Bussell was involved in many local organizations, such as Friends Memorial Church, Muncie Matinee Musicale, the Muncie Teachers Association, and state and national teachers associations. She died on March 27, 1980.
1.8 Cubic Feet (4 boxes)
Language of Materials
This collection is arranged in the following series:
Series 1: Osborn and Bussell families subject files, 1922-1992
Series 2: Osborn and Bussell families photographs, undated
Series 3: Osborn and Bussell families oversized photographs, 1948
This collection was received by Archives and Special Collections as a donation.
No further additions are expected.
Collection processing completed 1994/02/18 by M. Sears. EAD finding aid created 2012/10/09 by Julie Hausknecht. EAD finding aid updated 2013/10/28 by Rebecca Marangelli.
- Clippings Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Delaware County (Ind.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Education Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Family -- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Local history Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Muncie (Ind.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Photographs Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Stoeckel Archives of Local History Subject Source: Local sources
- Osborn and Bussell families papers
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Stoeckel Archives of Local History Repository
Alexander M. Bracken Library
2000 W. University Avenue
Muncie Indiana 47306 USA