Skip to main content

Madison Street United Methodist Church records and photographs

Identifier: MSS-146

Scope and Contents

The collection focuses on various aspects of the church's one hundred years. Items include: building campaign materials; programs relating church dedication; anniversary celebrations, directories; Loyal Workers class records; news clippings; proposal for educational unit; Willing Winning Workers records; and items of Methodist women's groups. A separate photo collection, PSC 170, contains twenty-four items on various aspects of Madison Street United Methodist.


  • 1900-2009

Conditions Governing Access

This collection is open for research.

Conditions Governing Use

Legal title, copyright, and literary rights reside with Archives and Special Collections, Ball State University Libraries, Muncie, IN. All requests to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted to Archives and Special Collections.

Administrative History

Madison Street United Methodist Church was first organized by Reverend N.H. Philips under the direction of Reverend H.N. Herrick, presiding elder of the Muncie District. The first service was held under a large tree in Heekin Park. Soon after, the congregation held services under a tent near the site of the present Garfield Elementary School. During cool weather, homes near the site were opened to the group.

Land was purchased at the corner of Seventh and Madison as a location for a permanent structure. A frame building served as the first church building. It was later converted into a parsonage upon completion and dedication of a brick building in February 1900. In 1922, the church building was condemned after suffering extensive storm damage. A tabernacle was constructed on the church lot of holding services until a new structure could be built. Due to lack of funds, construction was delayed. It was not until 1926, at a cost of $75,000, that the new structure was finally completed. Planning began in 1951 for construction of an educational unit, which was completed 1954. In 1995, Madison Street United Methodist, along with Trinity United Methodist and Gethsemane United Methodist, celebrated its centennial of serving the Muncie community.

In its 100 years, Madison Street United Methodist had different three names. It was originally named the Madison Street Methodist Episcopal Church. In 1939, the word "Episcopal" was dropped. In 1968, when the Methodists and the Evangelical United Brethren merged, it became Madison Street United Methodist. The Madison Street United Methodist Church closed in 2015 due to declining membership.


2.5 Cubic Feet (3 boxes and 1 folder)

Language of Materials



This collection is arranged alphabetically.

Custodial History

This collection was received by Archives and Special Collections as a donation.


No further additions are expected.

Existence and Location of Copies

Select materials from this collection have been digitized and are available online in the Ball State University Libraries Digital Media Repository:

Processing Information

Collection processing completed 1995/09/01 by M. Seelinger. Collection processing completed 2008/08 by L. D. Anderson. EAD finding aid created 2012/10/09 by Julie Hausknecht. EAD finding aid revised 2016/1/5 by Lindsey M. Vesperry.

Madison Street United Methodist Church records and photographs
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
Script of description
Code for undetermined script

Repository Details

Part of the Stoeckel Archives of Local History Repository

Alexander M. Bracken Library
2000 W. University Avenue
Muncie Indiana 47306 USA